Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 4000: Installing iOS 7 Renders iPhone 4S Useless - Frozen Boot Screen at 0%

Hey everyone.

I'm updating my iPhone 4S to iOS 7, and during the "Preparing iPhone for restore..." message in iTunes, an error 4000 message box pops up, and my iPhone is rendered useless with the apple logo on the screen and the reboot progress bar under it at 0%.

Troubleshooting "Error 4000" on the forums unveiled disk burning issues people were having, and I have only been able to find one other (unanswered)thread similar to this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5324101?answerId=23028315022#23028315022

I've wiped the hosts file, ran iTunes diagnostics, downloaded the firmware and tried restoring from the firmware file by holding shift + restore within iTunes, reinstalled iTunes, switched USB ports, rebooted the PC, cleaned the registry, restarted all the related windows services, and have tried 2 different USB cords.

Unfortunately neither redsn0w or iFaith have been able aid me in patching SHSH blobs into my firmware file. I was using these applications as a last resort, and the iPhone has never been jailbroken.

This could be a rare situation with little solutions.

Any help is appreciated.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7, iTunes Error 4000

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 1:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 2:34 AM

I am having this exact problem on my iphone 4s which has never been jailbroken.

Firstly I got error 4000,

Then after trying again my phone says connect to itunes

and 'preparing iphone for restore' get stuck after the firmware has been extracted.

I am really worried now, I have looked after this phone and it has been working perfectly for 2 years and now I try updating to Ios 7 this happens. Really upset as my phone is my life!

Any suugestions? is my phone totally useless now? :-(

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2013 2:34 AM in response to The__Riz

I am having this exact problem on my iphone 4s which has never been jailbroken.

Firstly I got error 4000,

Then after trying again my phone says connect to itunes

and 'preparing iphone for restore' get stuck after the firmware has been extracted.

I am really worried now, I have looked after this phone and it has been working perfectly for 2 years and now I try updating to Ios 7 this happens. Really upset as my phone is my life!

Any suugestions? is my phone totally useless now? :-(

Sep 19, 2013 7:35 AM in response to chrisisaac1985

i had this error too after i quit latest itunes cause updating to ios7 seems stuck.

maybe apple servers are not reachable? i am not sure but i managed to update to ios 7 later.

i did my update on windows 8. Unplugged all usb cables and used another usb port. Set my phone in recovery mode. Make sure the Apple Mobile device usb driver is showing in device manager under usb devices (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538)

Afterwards i could install ios7 through itunes. I was scared as **** too before, thought i lost my phone.

Good luck!!!!

Sep 19, 2013 8:11 AM in response to The__Riz

OK guys and girls, I have fixed mine...

Well it's back on ios 6.1.3

What I did was used a program called iReb and clicked on iphone 4 (there was no option for iphone 4s)

And then I clicked 'Set auto boot true' and then my phonme rebooted and was runnin what I had installed before ios 6.1.3

Later today I am going to try to update to ios7 over wifi with the iphone and i will not be using itunes!

I guess there is a bug with this new itunes and new ios7 which is happening with a lot of us.

I am so happy my phone is back because after a sleepless night I thought it was fried!

I wouldn't go to apple at this time as they're probably too busy and not bothered. Try ireb fix auto boot first.

;-)

Sep 20, 2013 9:31 AM in response to chrisisaac1985

Using iReb was unsuccessful in my case of the error. I ran out of pateince and took the phone to the Apple Store.

The clerk told me it was possible the server was backed up from so many people downloading iOS 7 at the same time. Apparently Wednesday night there was around a million people downloading it at once.

He restored iOS 6.1.3 and then I updated to iOS 7 via WiFi last night.

Problem solved, and I'm loving the new iOS.

Thanks everyone.

Sep 22, 2013 6:49 AM in response to The__Riz

I ran into this problem and come across this article - having already tried most of the mentioned things I wondered what it could be...

I ran iTunes as administrator (hold down shift key and right click on iTunes.exe - select "Run as administrator")

You might get prompted by UAC, just click yes.

Then - success!

Cheers

Feb 25, 2014 3:16 PM in response to The__Riz

Here is my Way to fix this 🙂

Steps:

1. Put in DFU
2. Exit everything (Skype ,Steam etc...)
3. Change USB Port
4. Try and Restore

HOW TO DFU:

1. Hold Power & Home Button for about 15sec

2. Release Power keep holding Home button

3. Once it has connected (iPhone will have a black sceen) ,iTunes will detect the iPhone and say u must restore it.

4.Release Home Button

Why Exit Everything:

- Because applications like Skype , Steam , Messenger and other run in background and some of them May or May Not cause problems while restoring and you will get Errors in the process ( Confirmed )
Change USB Port:
- I don't know how to answer you this exept with this "A New Beginning" ( Just In Case )
Try And Restore:
- After you restore from iTunes your iPhone will:
1. Lose All Data (Photos, Contacts, Apps, Music)

2. Get Updated To The Latest iOS (Those who Jailbreak.. Check If That iOS is Jailbreakable)

Make sure that you backup your Data before this , Just reminding those who have 3GS .. iOS 6.1.6 is NOT Jailbreakable Yet! , however iOS 7.0.6 IS 🙂

Hope This Helps 🙂

Error 4000: Installing iOS 7 Renders iPhone 4S Useless - Frozen Boot Screen at 0%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.