Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After iOS 7 update my iPad mini is stuck in recovery mode

Hi,

Yesterday I tried updating to iOS 7 (wireless update, big mistake I reckon). While the download went fine, when the iPad rebooted it is stuck in recovery mode (iTunes and connector symbol).

When I connect it to my computer it says that it recognizes an iPad in recovery mode and that I have to restore it. I try to restore it but it instantly gets an error saying that the update is not available. While I understand this might be a problem with the servers, I'm worried that I'll have this problem when I try again tonight.

Also, it really ***** that you're forced to restore a backup when you try to update... Is there any way to get out of recovery mode without restoring?

Thanks.

iPad mini-OTHER, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 1:51 AM

15 replies

Sep 19, 2013 1:56 AM in response to maxih88

maxih88 wrote:

.. Is there any way to get out of recovery mode without restoring?

No.

iPad Recovery Mode = http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4097

Note on Recovery Mode.

You may need to try this More than Once...

Be sure to Follow ALL the Steps...

Once you have Recovered your Device...

Re-Sync your Content or Restore from the most recent Backup...

Restore from Backup

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766

Sep 19, 2013 1:56 AM in response to Diavonex

If a reset doesn't work, you will have no choice but to force iPad into Recovery Mode

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the device, but leave the other end of the cable connected to your computer's USB port.

2. Turn off the device: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the device to turn off.

3. While pressing and holding the Home button, reconnect the USB cable to the device. The device should turn on.

4. Continue holding the Home button until you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen. When this screen appears, release the Home button.

5. iTunes should alert you that it has detected a device in recovery mode. Click OK, and then click Restore to restore the device.

Note: You need to be patient and repeat the above many times to recover your iPad. Data will be lost.

Sep 19, 2013 2:15 AM in response to Diavonex

I tried all of the different reboot procedures both while connected and disconnected just to make sure. Same story, reboot into connect to iTunes screen. I googled for the problem and came across something called DFU mode. When I try this the screen remains black until I do the "Sleep/Wake+Home button reset". Still no progress though.

Nov 6, 2013 1:46 AM in response to maxih88

Hi All, was anyone succeessful in restoring your ipad after DFU restore from itunes? My iTunes seems to had restored my ipad correctly, then it prompted me to not disconnect it from the computer and leave it there until it finishes restoring. Then my ipad restarted, and it's back at the apple logo. I don't know if it's doing something in the background or something, but it's been stuck for about an hour now still connected to my itunes. How long did any of yours take?

Nov 6, 2013 2:35 AM in response to c_fred_2

Okay. My iPad booted correctly now and I'm now on the Hello screen. So what happened are the ff and how i resolved it:

1) Entered DFU mode while connected to iTunes

2) iTunes did a restore (successful we'll assume)

3) iTunes then prompts the user saying not to disconnect the iPad from iTunes.

4) The iPad kept on showing the Apple logo, would even restart every now and then.

So after being stuck at #4 for about an hour, I disconnected the iPad from iTunes, then did a hard reset by pressing home and power button simultaneously until it turned off, i did notice it rebooted twice on its own, then it entered the Hello screen after that.

I think, it kept on rebooting after a restore is because it was still in DFU mode, and you had to explicitly exit the DFU mode to progress to the Hello screen.

I hope this helps someone out there.

After iOS 7 update my iPad mini is stuck in recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.