Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 passcode usability is poor - big design flaw ! :-(

With iOS 7 the stored passwords of Safari are visible in plain text for all users when the passcode is not enabled.

When the passcode is enabled the stored passwords are protected and are shown only after entering the passcode.

But, enable the passcode always enables the passcode protection of the lock screen.

You only can set it to 4 hours maximum until it became active.

So, when I don´t enable the passcode all my Safari stored passwords are unprotected.

Even when I give somebody my ipad only for a minute he will be able to see all my passwords.

When I enable the passcode the passcode has to be entered on lock screen all the time (latest all 4 hours).

So when an iPad is shared within a family (or general within several people) and passcode is enabled it become not really usable anymore,

as you have to share the passcode with everyone (the same passcode which also shows the stored Safari passwords).

So if you don´t want to give the passcode for the stored Safari passwords e.g. to your children then you have a real problem.

They can´t unlock the ipad without it......

So this is a real big design flaw (or even consider this as severe bug).

There are several possible solutions for Apple, only to mention 2 of them:

1. Add the option "Never" until the passcode is needed to unlock from the lockscreen (Safari passwords are still protected).

2. Use a different Safari-passcode for Safari only (so you could protect Safari passwords without enabling the iOS passcode).

Additionally I suggest to add an additional option to Safari regarding passwords.

When enabling auto fill in stored passwords there should be an option which prompts the user to enter a Passcode before filling the passord in (similar to other browsers like Firefox).

So you can use this convinient function without bothering sharing your iPad with other people.

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 3:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 3:02 AM

You can tell Apple at:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

3 replies

Sep 19, 2013 1:43 PM in response to Pterdactylus

In fact there is a required! use of Passcode in Safari if you want to enable auto-fill for passcodes on sights that normally do not allow the saving of Passcode. So I have one iPad that stays at home all the time, I'm the only user, and Apple wants to force me to use Passcode in Safari if I want to auto fill all passcodes. Shouldn't that be my choice? I like your idea of two Passcode options, one for the iPad and another for Safari. Indeed, we should send this idea to Apple. Stedman1's right, that's the only effective way to let Apple know.

Oct 2, 2013 10:35 AM in response to Pterdactylus

The other issue with the new passcode keypad is that it is twice as tall as the previous keypad. This makes one handed entering of the passcode more difficult which is not good. Look at this comparison (from http://www.jailbreakmodo.com/ios-6-vs-ios-7-comparison-side-by-side-view-differe nces.html).

User uploaded file

Thumb travel is greatly increased and reduces the ease of entering the passcode. People with small hands would not be able to reach the top numbers with one hand.

Not a good or smart move Apple! Please fix this!

iOS 7 passcode usability is poor - big design flaw ! :-(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.