Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone & iOS7 doesn't show music tags properly

I have an issue with iOS7 (from Beta 6, GM and now the full release) not showing edited album details properly on music downloaded from the iTunes store.

Example: I have a song that I edited the album title of in iTunes (was an album title with an unnecessary bracket section in the titles which was deleted)

I then deleted the song from the iPhone & re-synced, and the track came up with the original title as downloaded from the iTunes Store, not the edited version I did in iTunes itself before re-syncing.

I do not use iTunes Match, made sure that is turned off

Updating to iOS7 GM, and full release versions, and deleting & re-syncing the entire library hasn't had an effect.

Any ideas, or is this the Music app & iOS7 doing it's best to annoy people for no good reason??

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 3:39 AM

15 replies

Sep 19, 2013 4:57 PM in response to keyserchris

Keyserchris,

I have this problem, too.

I purchased: Jim Stafford, The Best of Jim Stafford, Spiders and Snakes

In iTunes (11.1) I changed the album title to "The Best Of Jim Stafford" and song title to "Spiders And Snakes" (capitalizing the Of & And).Then I dragged it into iOS 7 on my iPhone 4.

Everything appears fine when viewing the songs on the iPhone using the iTunes browser. But, within the iOS 7 music app the original/uncorrected album title displays. However, the song title DOES appear changed/corrected.

In another example, the artist name also DID NOT reflect the changed/corrected version that exists within iTunes. "Sam The Sham And The Pharaohs" reverted to "Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs"

This wasn't an exhaustive experiment by any stretch. I'll mess around with it later. (I did see that someone commented on this very issue during the beta phase).

Thanks for your post.

Sep 20, 2013 8:15 AM in response to keyserchris

I have the same problem. In iTunes I have an album, in the album view on my iPhone it has a different album title and different album artwork to my iTunes version and then when I open the album (taking it out of albums and into that specific album, still on my phone) the album art matches my iTunes (different from the album list view) but still has the wrong title. I'm on a Mac though, so I don't think this is a Windows specific problem.

:/

Sep 24, 2013 2:12 PM in response to keyserchris

Keyserchris, I have the same problem as well. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution. In fact, I've seen a few instances of this occuring and no one has an answer for it.

I find it hard to believe that this is how Apple has chosen to run the music portion of iTunes with their devices considering it takes away the ability to customize one's music.

Plus, even if this is how Apple and iTunes will function, why give us the ability to edit the "album" box in "Get Info" anyway after iOS7 and iTunes 11.1? It seems as if it weren't meant to be edited it would no longer exist.

All in all, in my opinion I feel it's a bug that will be fixed in a later iOS update. It's too much of a take away for the user to be anything else.

Sep 25, 2013 7:00 AM in response to keyserchris

Keyserchris, last night I was trying to figure out the logic as to why this may be happening.

If Apple's servers (via iCloud or whatever) were overriding my album data to their database, then I thought that changes to album metadata must be made when there is no connection from my iPhone/iPad/iPod to Apple's servers.

With that in mind, the next time you connect your iPhone/iPad/iPod to your computer:

1. Put the iPhone/iPad/iPod in airplane mode;
  2. From iTunes (or from the iPhone/iPad/iPod ) delete the incorrectly named album(s) from the iPhone/iPad/iPod;
  3. Edit your album(s) name in your iTunes library to your liking (if not done already);
  4. Move the song(s) and(or) entire album(s) from your iTunes library back to your iPhone/iPad/iPod.

With the iPhone/iPad/iPod in airplane mode your album changes should now take and hold. When you're done you can shut airplane mode off and your changes will still hold.

Hope this helps!

Sep 26, 2013 11:47 AM in response to CapeCodKid

Keyserchris, I have to apologize for the post above. The trigger is not airplane mode. The trigger is signing out of iTunes on your iPhone/iPad/iPod.

Here's a new test for you to try:

1. Make sure your iTunes library is updated with your edited album names;
  2. Find a song on your iPhone where the album name is incorrect;
  3. Delete the song from your iPhone;
  4. On your iPhone go to "Settings>iTunes & App Store" and tap your Apple ID (highlighted in blue).
  5. Tap "Sign Out";
  6. Go back to your iTunes library and select the song/album that you want back on your iPhone;
  7. The iPhone should now show your edited album tag;
  8. Once your done you can sign back to "Settings>iTunes & App Store" and sign back in. Your edits will hold.

In addition, this also works with artist pictures. I did not like the stock images iTunes associated with my artists - I wanted album art instead. After you sign out of your Apple ID, when you move a song/album from your iTunes library to your iPhone the FIRST album you move over will be associated with that artist.

For example, I have seven AC/DC albums but I want the cover of "Back in Black" to be associated with AC/DC on my iPhone's artist listing. After I've signed out of my Apple ID, I transfer "Back in Black" to my iPhone and then the other six albums in any order. "Back in Black" will be the album picture associated with AC/DC on the artist page.

Just remember, after your changes you can sign back into iTunes through "Settings>iTunes & App Store" and your changes to edited albums and artist cover art should hold.

Oct 2, 2013 4:59 PM in response to Barnizzel

Hi Barnizzel. Your iPhone needs to either be connected to your computer, or you can move the music over a wifi connection. I have my iPhone connected to my computer. You're accessing iTunes from your computer and you'll make your changes through iTunes on your computer.

All other changes (song title, artist, etc.) can be updated on thier own when you access "on this iPhone" in the iTunes summary page for your iPhone.

As I listed above, follow these steps to edit the album name.

Here's a new test for you to try:

1. Make sure your iTunes library (on your computer) is updated with your edited album names;
  2. Find a song on your iPhone where the album name is incorrect;
  3. Delete the song from your iPhone;
  4. On your iPhone go to "Settings>iTunes & App Store" and tap your Apple ID (highlighted in blue).
  5. Tap "Sign Out";
  6. Go back to your iTunes library and select the song/album that you want back on your iPhone;
  7. The iPhone should now show your edited album tag;
  8. Once your done you can sign back to "Settings>iTunes & App Store" and sign back in. Your edits will hold.

Let me know if you get this to work. If not, let me know where you still have confusion.

Oct 16, 2013 4:45 AM in response to keyserchris

It seems to be an issue with the music database in the Music app. It doesn't seem to acknowledge changes in capitalization, for example from "With The Beatles" to "With the Beatles". The problem arises if the album is already on your iPhone and you want to sync again after altering the album name in iTunes.

To overcome this issue, you need to find a way to wipe the database which stores Album titles in the Music app in iOS. The only way I know how to do this is via a Complete Restore of the device. Make sure to back up all your settings and content to either iCloud or iTunes before you perform the Restore.

To restore the device, go to Settings > Restore and select "Erase and Restore" from the menu.

Once the device reboots, the device will give you the option to either setup as a new device or restore your previous settings from a backup. It's up to you what you do here.

If you are restoring from an iTunes backup, make sure your Album titles are named correctly before you connect your device to the computer. Once the restore is complete, iTunes will sync your Music and if all went well, you should see that the Album titles all appear fine in your Music app.

Hope this helps.

Oct 27, 2013 9:51 PM in response to CapeCodKid

Oh my God, this actually worked! CapeCodKid you deserve a raise! I spent an hour with Apple support on the phone about this a week ago and they didn't know what I was talking about. One small thing: I wasn't sure what you meant by "select the song/album" in Step 6, but assumed you meant to resync or autofill that song. That worked! Wow, huge bug. Get on this, Apple -- the Music app is just a mess in iOS 7.

Nov 19, 2013 10:36 AM in response to CapeCodKid

Thanks, CapeCodKid.

Logging out of iTunes on the iDevice then dragging songs over did work! What a pain, but at least I have my local iTunes edits.

A different issue that it doesn't resolve is that Artist Profile pictures continue to be pushed to my iDevice. I don't want them. I guess it has nothing to do with iTunes. And I have never purchased Music Match, which really makes it interesting!

I'm getting very frustrated with the direction Apple is taking by force feeding things that I do not want. 😐

JP

Dec 30, 2013 10:14 AM in response to keyserchris

Thanks. This worked. I just wanted to add instructions if you use iTunes Match. See below.

1. Make sure your iTunes library (on your computer) is updated with your edited album names;

2. Delete all the songs on your iPhone where the album name is incorrect;

3. Turn off iTunes Match

Tap "Sign Out";

5. Go back to your iTunes library and select the song/album that you want back on your iPhone (any song. You just need 1);

6. Resync with the computer using the cord. The iPhone should now show your edited album tag for that song;

7. Once your done, you can sign back to "Settings>iTunes & App Store" and sign back in.

8. Turn back on iTunes Match. All albums will display correctly now.

Again...please fix this Apple. This is ridiculous.

iPhone & iOS7 doesn't show music tags properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.