Previous 1 2 3 Next 32 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2014 8:05 PM by WizOfGoz
Idratsab Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

When I get a PDF in an email in ios7 it will not let me open it with another app. It will only save it as an image and if there is more than one page it only displays the first page. How can I get the file to open in another app so I can view it.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 7
  • LutherP Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have the same problem on both my iPhone 5 and my iPad 3 with retina.  Of course this happened on a day that I needed it for work of course.  I just seemed to fix it though by doing a complete erase all content and settings and then restoring with backup.  I am going to try it now with my iPhone 5.

• LutherP Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Okay, update on this.  I have restored my iPad and at first it worked.  But that was before everything was reinstalled with the restore and now it is broken again, so I figure that it must be a thirdparty app that somehow breaks the function.I have too many apps to try to narrow them down one by one, so I am hoping that someone fixes which ever app it is and we are back to normal.  Frustrating though.

• GJB67 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Exact same issue on my Ipad2 - ios 6 would let me to open PDFs on various apps, now with 7

either the email attachment wont download at all or will just give 1st page with no option to open in other apps. Currently using a work around with dropbox but this is not ideal and would like the old functionality back ASAP.

• ppitton Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same problem here, but only on iPad4, iPhone5 is working fine. Both updated to iOS7 over-the-air...

Need bug-fix soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do have a friend with iPad4 and iOS7 where it works fine, so problem seems to me not mono-causal......

• Idratsab Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

No on the ipad 4...but the issue is not present on my iPhone 5 or the ipad mini.

Not a solution but another workaround - I set up a G Mail account and found that PDF would download and I could perform the "open in" function. But this process has extra steps and does not provide an offline solution.

My wife has an Ipad 2 and this is working fine on ios7.

Really would appreciate it if anyone can find a solution.

• Rooibaard Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I also experienced this issue after upgrading to IOS7. Through search I found this reply from another user: https://discussions.apple.com/message/23073421#23073421

I deleted File Open app from my iPad and this resolved the issue immediately.

Tapping and holding on the pdf now gives te option to open in third party app. The following options are listed, and if you have the same issue it may help to delete one of these:

IBooks

iAnnotate

Documents

Adobe

Notes Plus

Remarks

Save2PDF

Bluefirereader

Kindle

Air Sharing

Chrome

Evernote

Dropbox

Logmein

Ok, so that's something new. I do have iPhone5 running and "open in" works from email and it shows 9 apps (including iBooks) capable of opening PDFs.

On the iPad it doesn't show the "open in" dialog (only in Apple Mail app). When I i.e. try to "open in" a PDF in GoodReader it gives me 13 apps to choose from.

Rooibaard shows 15 apps installed, so it cannot be just the "number" of apps installed, must be "one single one not compatible with iOS7" (since it worked before).

Unfortunately it's not so easy to just "erase" the apps one by one since they might have some big storage attached already.

Happy for any hint if we can find out what apps are "bad"...

Brgds,

Peter

One more thing......

So for me it looks like "Apple Mail App" is implementing something BAD now in iOS7 since if it works from other apps (i.e. GoodReader)...

So: Apple PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!!!

Thats It !! It worked  - I simply deleted an app that handled PDF's but I never used (Cloud on i think) and then went back to mail and Hey Presto "open in" was there and PDF's could be viewed.

I dont think it matters which app you delete as long as you delete one.

Thanks Rooibarrd your a star.

Much better than doing a total "from new install" which is the advise I got from apple store.

Sounds good (for you). Didn't help for me.

I'm using the workaround that GoodReader can access email accounts (and therefore attachments).

Deleted "multiple" apps that show when "open-in" a PDF, but still no change.

Brgds,

Peter

• Krischi Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I deleted iCloud, after upgrading to iOS7.03 and as soon as I did it it worked fine! It's is really try an error!

An Error message would be helpful!!

Hi Krischi,

sounds good (for you).

What do you mean exactly by "deleted iCloud"?

I do experience the problem not only with my iCloud mail account, but with all others also.

Are you sure you have 7.0"3"? For me it says 7.02 is the newest and current version.

Brgds,

Peter

• Krischi Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi Krischi,

sounds good (for you).

What do you mean exactly by "deleted iCloud"?

I do experience the problem not only with my iCloud mail account, but with all others also.

Are you sure you have 7.0"3"? For me it says 7.02 is the newest and current version.

Brgds,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Writing my post I made an mistake! I deleted my app CloudOn instead of iCloud and as soon I did it, I could handle my PDF attachment as before using iOS5.x!

The reason for this might be the fact, that CloudOn currently, according to the AppStore, is not upgraded to iOS 7.0.2!

Regarding iOS 7.0.3 it was a typo! I'm using 7.0.2

Hope that helps

Christian

Previous 1 2 3 Next