Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1st gen iPad iOS.. Can I get a iOS update ****

Apple makes billions of dollars each year and those of us that don't buy new devices every other week are getting screwed.

I should not have to pay for support.. 90 days free, what a joke. I just want a new iOS update for my old iPad 1st gen. Maybe if apple didn't release a new version of the same product every 6 mnths they cou

D focus on making the ones they have out even better with updates.

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 5:11 AM

5 replies

Sep 19, 2013 6:41 AM in response to Emberosus

Reports of the new IOS running slow even on the iPad 2 are being reported, so even if they would let you upgrade, you would NOT be happy. I don't think the procesor is up to the task.

Why should Apple keep writing software for OLD devices? Time to move on.

BTW, my iPod Touch 4th gen (one gen old) will not run it either...but we move on.

If your iPad 1 is running fine, enjoy.

Feb 2, 2014 9:56 AM in response to gwforeman

Honestly, Emberosus has it right.

I wonder if in the future people will look at our existance in the past and laugh at how wasteful we were with technology for the bottom dollar.
Companies don't make anything to last anymore and Apple is a HUGE example in that.

The first generation iPad didn't even come with a camera on it when every phone out at the time had one. They waited to create the second gen with one and advertised it as a new feature.

Sure it has an updated processor, but Apple has built a company that has trained humans to upgrade their products every year or 6 months. It's kind of a joke and I never understood why people would waste their hard earned money.

Another example of longivity of technology is my HP Pavilion a1314n. Bought that sucker in 2005 with Windows XP and Windows is just now ending support of Windows XP April 8, 2014.

Granted I can't play many games with it anymore, but it just shows how long you can actually make a product last.

I think people need to wake up and realize they don't need to buy Apple products that only last for a limited time. It will be the only way Apple learns.

Also, we just inherited a 1st Gen 64 gig device and are super disappointed we can't do the things we can do on other devices. It's just a glorified flash drive now.

Feb 2, 2014 10:40 AM in response to Emberosus

After Apple released the original iPad Apple released more than one iOS update for those devices that increased the capabilities of the original iPad. When one purchases a device you purchase it for its current capabilities at the time of purchase. Your original iPad gained some capability after than and it most likely continues to function well. If you think you really need the capabilities of the more powerful current line of iPads and the present version of iOS then, yes, you'll have to replace you original model.

1st gen iPad iOS.. Can I get a iOS update ****

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.