Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moving apps from screen to screen in iTunes 11.1

I have always used iTunes to arrange my many apps on my iPhone screens. Now I updated to IOS7 and iTunes 11.1 - and I can only move my apps from screen to screen in the iPhone - by holding down the app and sliding it off the screen. In iTunes 11.1 all the apps are "locked" to the screens and I can't re-arrange them by dragging them from screen to screen.

I hate it!

Is this broken -- or a new "feature" from Apple?

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 5:10 AM

13 replies

Sep 19, 2013 5:58 AM in response to Richard Sjolund

You have to double click on the pages and folders to get inside, then you can move as before. However, if your folders have two pages, then the second page is only accessible if you scroll down below the main pages, then you get a section for each of your folders. In there, you can double-click to get into a page.

This is incredibly tedious and slow and annoying, but it is not as bad as doing it on the phone!

Dec 29, 2013 4:35 PM in response to Richard Sjolund

I've tried just what was recommended regarding moving individual icons in itunes... that is, double click the page, select the icon, and then drag the individual icon to where you want it. On my computer, working in itunes, this is not an option. The page I'm interacting with never minimizes allowing me to select another page to place an app. Thus I'm only able to move apps on the page their currently on. In addition, I'm not able to create groups of apps. It's one app one location, no groups any longer. Any ideas why this updated version (I'm running itunes ver. 11.1) no longer allows making such personalized adjustments? This seems like a considerable step backward to me.

Jan 5, 2014 1:10 PM in response to Richard Sjolund

I agree with everyone that this is now awkward, but if you double-click a screen page to make it bigger, you can click and drag the icon you want to move out of there to another page. Once you mouse over another page, that page will enlarge and allow you to drop it on there. If the page is not visible (as someone mentioned earlier), you can hold the clicked icon toward the bottom of the area with the screens - and not on a page - and it will scroll. Once you see the page you want, you can drop it on there.

Obviously it was not intuitive to me or else I would not have stumbled upon this discussion! Thanks everyone for your advice and help!

Jan 14, 2016 6:39 PM in response to Richard Sjolund

Actually, it's easier than you think! Here you go ...

• Make iTunes go into full screen mode (View | Enter Full Screen, or do whatever you can on your version). You should then see more than one column of home screens shots.
  • When viewing the apps for the device, there is a slider at the top above the home screen shots, and you can reduce the size of each home screen and its icons to see more screen at a time.
  • Double-click on an con that you want to shift
  • When it has a little x mark on it, drag it to the desired screen and pause until that screen expands in size. Then drop the icon where you want it.

Hope that helps! I am using iTunes 12.3.2 on a Macbook with El Capitan.

Jan 14, 2016 6:52 PM in response to ITVeteran

ITVeteran wrote:

Actually, it's easier than you think! Here you go ...

• Make iTunes go into full screen mode (View | Enter Full Screen, or do whatever you can on your version). You should then see more than one column of home screens shots.
  • When viewing the apps for the device, there is a slider at the top above the home screen shots, and you can reduce the size of each home screen and its icons to see more screen at a time.
  • Double-click on an con that you want to shift
  • When it has a little x mark on it, drag it to the desired screen and pause until that screen expands in size. Then drop the icon where you want it.

Hope that helps! I am using iTunes 12.3.2 on a Macbook with El Capitan.

But couldn’t do this +2 years ago (this thread).

moving apps from screen to screen in iTunes 11.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.