2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2013 9:00 AM by Studio X
Video Production Teacher Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

When I export a Quiktime file from Final Cut Pro 7, why do I get a mosaic effect on the edges of camera or subject movement (like blurred lines while the movement is happening in the clip)? Is there an export setting or sequence setting I am missing? Thank you for any assistance. I shoot on Canon Vixia HR20 in HD, and I allow FCP to modify sequence settings when I move the clips from the Browser to the Timeline. Thank you for ANY input. Curtis

Final Cut Pro 7, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)
  • Michael Grenadier Level 7 Level 7 (20,315 points)

It's probably interlacing.  If you don't understand the difference between progressive and interlacing, do some googling.  It's very basic video stuff.  Select a clip in the browser or timeline and hit command-9 and tell us what it says for field dominance.  If it's anything but "none" it means that the source is interlaced and computer displays are progressive.  When viewed properly via a video card on a video (not computer) monitor, it should look ok.  If your end use is for computer display, you should deinterlace your material either before editing or after (your final output).  Compressor will do a much better job of this than fcp.  Post back if you want some help with compressor. 

• Studio X Level 7 Level 7 (26,990 points)

Also, the camera records a highly compresed version of video. While it looks like FCP will accept these files in their native format, it really does not like them nor does it edit them without issues.

Best practice is to convert them to ProRes LT before bringing them into FCP. If the camera is supported by FCP, use Log and Transfer. If it isn't then Compressor or ClipWrap will usually work.

Once the material is in ProRes, you'll find editing moves much more smoothly with few issues on output.

x