Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 Black screen with cursor after boot camp partition

So I realise this is a problem that was plaguing people a few years back. So I'll go from the very start.

I've downloaded a copy of windows 7 professional 64bit from the Microsoft website. My optical/CD drive isn't working, so I've been unable to use it

to install windows. I decided I'd try booting from my USB. So I have the ISO file and formatted my USB and I've downloaded the latest drivers for boot camp assistant on my mac (version 5.0.4) I'm up to date with every update for my mac. Now, I do realise that Apple doesn't recommend using a USB to load windows, but I watched this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z1gqw0ougo and it explained how to get the checkbox up when you're in boot camp so you can run from your USB.

My problem now, is that straight after I have partitioned my hard drive, it goes on to install windows but upon restarting it reaches "the black screen of death" with just the white cursor blinking. I've tried multiple times and keep getting the same result. I've even tried what Apple suggested and only have one USB device plugged in http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4536

The details for my mac are as follows:

Model Name:iMac
Model Identifier:iMac10,1
Processor Name:Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed:3.06 GHz
Number of Processors:1
Total Number of Cores:2
L2 Cache:3 MB
Memory:4 GB
Bus Speed:1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version:IM101.00CC.B00
SMC Version (system):1.53f13
Serial Number (system):W800992A5PE
Hardware UUID:A108E54E-3C53-5AF8-BFDF-2CF7ED567A74

and it's a late 2009 model.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Late 2009 model

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 5:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 10:29 PM

I have solved this issue now but seem to have encountered another one. I solved the above issue simply by keep on trying time and time again, partitioning the hard drive and trying to install windows 7.

Anyway, I have encountered this error: windows setup could not apply the configuration set. The WINDOWS folder cannot be found.

Please help!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2013 10:29 PM in response to reeloui

I have solved this issue now but seem to have encountered another one. I solved the above issue simply by keep on trying time and time again, partitioning the hard drive and trying to install windows 7.

Anyway, I have encountered this error: windows setup could not apply the configuration set. The WINDOWS folder cannot be found.

Please help!

Windows 7 Black screen with cursor after boot camp partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.