Previous 1 2 Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2015 9:09 AM by Mike Adkins Branched to a new discussion.
pgoodwin Level 1 (130 points)

Looking for feedback on any speed or functional issues when using an iPad 2 after upgrading to iOS 7

iPad 2, iOS 6
  • pgoodwin Level 1 (130 points)

My iPad 2 is a 32 GB model with 5.2 GB of free memory

• Steveo0705 Level 1 (0 points)

I have an iPad 2 16 Gb wifi model and it is quite a bit of lag. Although I think this could just be an iOS7 issue because I have read reports of lag even on iPad 4's. I would not recommend updating to iOS7 on iPad at all though. It was not optimized well for the iPad. I'm about to downgrade mine back to 6.1.3.

• yholman Level 1 (0 points)

I shut down my iPad 2 and restarted. The lag time was corrected.

• Diavonex Level 9 (66,545 points)

My iPad 2 (64GB) is running nicely for the last 7 hours.

That's promising

• SergZak Level 5 (6,725 points)

Diavonex wrote:

My iPad 2 (64GB) is running nicely for the last 7 hours.

Did you do anything such as a device reset or power-cycling the device at all or did it just come out that way with no extra steps involved? Just curious and thanks for any info.

Thanks for the feedback. These machine are just old enough to make me hesitant to upgrade the OS. I have no idea how much RAM is in this model compared to the newer ones and haven't seen any articles about whether iOS 7 "likes" more RAM than iOS 6.

• Diavonex Level 9 (66,545 points)

A few things to do before update:

1. Backup iPad

2. Charge battery

3. Close all apps in Task Bar

4. Set Auto-Lock to "Never"

5. Have iTune (computer) on standby in case you go into Recovery Mode

6. A good/fast internet connection

• jcmel Level 1 (0 points)

Mine is impossible to use. I have an iPad 2 I updated 2 days ago and I am miserable. I cannot type I sit and wait for the passcode to accept for at least a minute. Forget FB or any search functions. I can basically use it to read and that's it. Avoid upgrading for a while!

For all of you that are having problems, there may be some help in an iPhone 4 thread called "Does iOS 7 Slow Down An iPhone 4?

Summary info from that thread (go there for more details):

Try rebooting the iPad. Also, in another similar thread on the iPhone 4, people are having success by going to Settings and resetting them. See the thread: https://discussions.apple.com/message/23034958#23034958

Some people have had success by: "Go to Settings>iCloud>documents and data       and turn it OFF.  If its off already set it to ON then set it back to OFF."   That was in the iPhone 4 thread also.

Give those a try and report back.

• jcmel Level 1 (0 points)

This perfectly fixed the issue on the iPad. In fact I did this to the iphone 4 too

I upgraded my iPad 2 a few weeks ago to iOS 7. I'm at 7.0.4 and the iPAd is running fine. I have no issues.

• vespa5 Level 1 (30 points)

There are people in this forum who are expressing their problems with iOS 7 on an iPad Air, what more with an older iPad model? There are updates around the corner. At least that's what I was told over the weekend at my local Apple Store

And I didn't have to turn iCloud documents and data off. I only have 5 apps though that store documents on iCloud. I didn't change the Accessibility settings Increase Contrast and Reduce Morion to ON either. It's a 32 GB iPad 2 with about 3 GB of free storage (about 25 GB used).

Previous 1 2 Next