Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email with no Subject isn't coming true the mailserver

Hello everybody.

I have a question. We are using the Mac Mini (2010) with X SERVER on it. It work's perfect, but there is one thing that isn't working very well.

That is the following thing.

When a friend send me a email without typing any text in the subject header of the email he's getting it back? But when he put just one letter in the subject header it comes true?

Is there a way that we can say to that one user all his email must getting true. Because he's always sending mails without a subject header, i know it's strange but that's he! 😉

I'll hope you all know what i mean, my englisch writing isn't that good sorry.

Greetings from the Netherlands, Levin den Boer.

Mac mini Server (Mid 2010), OS X Server, With Mountain Lion

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 12:41 PM

That's probably a setting that's intended to reduce spam.

For details, launch Terminal.app and issue the following command:

man header_checks

The particular check involved is probably in /etc/postfix/custom_header_checks

Either invoke the "your mail won't get to me or to many other folks you might send mail to" spell on your friend — encourage your friend to change behavior, as this won't be the only mail that's disappearing on your friend — or launch Terminal.app and invoke the following command:

sudo nano /etc/postfix/custom_header_checks

and use the nano text editor to change the following line:

/^subject: *$/ REJECT empty subject header

to:

# /^subject: *$/ REJECT empty subject header

The # is a comment delimiter, and disables the check.

This won't fix the other sites that are silently dropping your friend's email messages, though.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2013 12:41 PM in response to levindenboer1975

That's probably a setting that's intended to reduce spam.

For details, launch Terminal.app and issue the following command:

man header_checks

The particular check involved is probably in /etc/postfix/custom_header_checks

Either invoke the "your mail won't get to me or to many other folks you might send mail to" spell on your friend — encourage your friend to change behavior, as this won't be the only mail that's disappearing on your friend — or launch Terminal.app and invoke the following command:

sudo nano /etc/postfix/custom_header_checks

and use the nano text editor to change the following line:

/^subject: *$/ REJECT empty subject header

to:

# /^subject: *$/ REJECT empty subject header

The # is a comment delimiter, and disables the check.

This won't fix the other sites that are silently dropping your friend's email messages, though.

Email with no Subject isn't coming true the mailserver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.