Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connection Failure - Xbox 360 > Ethernet Cable > OSX 10.8.5

Hi folks,

A month or so ago my Xbox 360 would connect to Live via Ethernet into my MacMini sharing the Wifi > Ethernet using 'Automatic DHCP' setting in the Ethernet Network sections etc etc.

However, I fired up my 360 the other day for GTAV, and now the 360 won't connect.

- no settings have been changed on either the 360 or Mini, nor has the Wifi box settings or service provide.

So I took the 360 to the Wifi box and ethernetted it , and it naturally signed into Live - which it then updated the 360's platform software etc. (I assume this would fix the issue

Returning to the Mini and same settings etc, again doesn't work. - the 360 suggestions were the usual dross about about unplugging stuff ( which have all been tried! )

I have watched all approiprite YoutTube videos about this, and am well aware of how to setup this to work in a normal situation.
I was hoping a super knowlegable person out there might have a trick up their sleeve, for which I would be very grateful!!!!

I tried these instruction too from a past post... I noted that my ethernet doesn't have a Router Address as mentioned below... I don't know how to fix that... is it relevant??? --->

jijijoijoj

Got it working on Mountain Lion finally.
Follow the instructions from here: http://mingersoft.com/blog/2012/09/getting-internet-sharing-to-work-on-mountain- lion/

These instructions are for ethernet -> wifi. Just modify them to what makes sense for wifi -> ethernet.

1. Undo all network sharing,
  2. Go into System Preferences and then Network,
  3. Click on Thunderbolt Ethernet (or whichever network interface you wish to share from) then click the Advanced button,
  4. Click the TCP/IP tab and take note of the Router address,
  5. Click the DNS tab and take note of the DNSaddresses and then click OK,
  6. Click on Wi-Fi (or whichever network interface you wish to share to) then click the Advancedbutton,
  7. Click the TCP/IP tab up the top,
  8. Next to Configure IPv4 select Manually,
  9. Next to IPv4 Address type in 10.0.0.1, 172.16.1.1 or 192.168.1.1 (so long as it doesn’t match the first number in the router address of which you took note in Step 3),
  10. Next to Subnet Mask type in 255.255.255.0
  11. Next to Router type in the address noted in Step 4,
  12. Click the DNS tab,
  13. Type in the DNS addresses noted in Step 5 (just click the plus symbol underneath when you want to add a new one),
  14. Click OK then Apply,
  15. Go into System Preferences and then Sharing,
  16. Click on Internet Sharing in the list on the left,
  17. Next to Share your connection from choose your connection from which to share (in my case,Thunderbolt Ethernet),
  18. Next to To computers using, tick the network interface to which you want to share the internet connection (in my case, Wi-Fi),
  19. If you are sharing to Wi-Fi then click the Wi-Fi Options button (otherwise skip down to Step 22),
  20. Give your network a suitable name, select appropriate security (WPA2 is available otherwise WEP) and provide a password,
  21. Click OK,
  22. If you are prompted to start Internet Sharing accept the offer otherwise tick the box next toInternet Sharing on the left.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 6:02 AM

1 reply

Sep 20, 2013 7:46 AM in response to Frankdr

Addition info. I entered ifconfig en0 into the terminal

Other post have said this is how you can obtain your Mac's Ethernet IP

However, this is what was printed...

ifconfig en0

en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

options=b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_HWTAGGING>

ether a8:20:66:10:db:dc

media: autoselect (none)

----

I can only assume this is saying that my ethernet connection is inactive, does anyone know if this is true?

Except that in the SysPref window it shows my Ethernet as being active/green...

Connection Failure - Xbox 360 > Ethernet Cable > OSX 10.8.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.