8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2013 9:18 AM by Old Toad
Hugoniot Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

My wife and I each have an iPhone 4, and went on a trip two time zones away.  I had Time Zone Support turned on, and she had it turned off.  When I uploaded the pictures into iPhoto 11, my pictures show the time according to our home time zone (which I don't want), and hers shows the time for each picture accorrding to the local time zone of our trip (which I want).

I could use the Mac application Photo Date Changer to adjust all of my pictures by two hours ahead, and then all of our pictures would show the local time zone.  However, when I started to do this, I noticed that Photo Date Changer thinks that the pictures were all taken in the local time zone!  So I then looked at the EFIX data of the pictures using Preview, and it shows that the time for all the pictures were taken in the local time zone.  Graphic Converter, the Finder, and every other program I can find to look at the EFIX data all show that the pictures were taken in the local time zone. 

So my question is why is iPhoto displaying my pictures in my home time zone, and my wife's pictures in the local time zone, when the EFIX data all show the pictures being taken in the local time zone? 

I could still use Photo Date Changer to adjust my pictures by two hours, but then the EFIX data would be wrong.  I don't see any difference in any of the EFIX data between the two sets of photos.  Even the TimeStamp in the GPS metadata shows the same time!  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Does iPhoto make use of time zone information?
    LarryHN Level 9 Level 9 (56,675 points)

II am not sure how that all works - but the better solution is to simply select the problem photos in iPhoto and use the adjust time and date command in iPhoto - click the change original box

LN

• 2. Re: Does iPhoto make use of time zone information?
    Hugoniot Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

That fixes the problem so that the pictures show up correctly in iPhoto, but that would also change the EFIX data to be two hours ahead of when the pictures were taken. 

- iPhoto shows that the picture was taken at 9am

- The actual picture was taken at 11am (central time)

- Adjusting my photos ahead by two hours changes the time to 1pm, which is still not right

Seems like there would be a way to edit Apple's metadata so that I could let the pictures taken with Time Zone Support on would be changed to Time Zone Support off.  That is what appears to be the problem.  Couldn't I edit this and fix it with a text editor like Text Wrangler?

• 3. Re: Does iPhoto make use of time zone information?
    LarryHN Level 9 Level 9 (56,675 points)

Sorry no idea

The basic ruleis to never change anything in the iPhoto library using anything except iphoto

I try to keep may camera set correctly and only use iPhoto so if I need to fix something I fix it in iPhoto and am ok - if you really want to do that safely then you should do it prior to improting to iPhoto

LN

• 4. Re: Does iPhoto make use of time zone information?
    HalfWormBite Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I never use iPhoto to import photos from a device or SDcard.

I always use Preview app to grab a copy of the files when the iPad or iPhone is connected to the iMac.

For other cameras etc I copy direct from the SDcard to a folder on th iMac.

This way i always have an original "untouched" set (usually placed on my backup drive).

I then import the best ones into iPhoto for further enhancements (rotate, crop etc), group them into events and then create a corresponding album where any subset of them can be arranged in any order.

Yes you can use iPhoto to adjust the EXIF field "DateTimeOriginal" for one or more photos and it retains the relative times (time differences between shots).

BUT !!! If you also tick [  ]"Modify original files", then it will alter the same in the original files THEN

by doing so OSX changes the "file creation date" and "file modification date" to your current computer time ("today"), i.e. those original files will looks as if they are copies made today. The relative time between shots can then only be obtained by looking into the EXIF data (tedious).

This is why I always write lock my originals (in case I slip up in iPhoto).

In future I will be using a shell script to change ensure EXIF data field(s) are correct on the originals before importing into iPhoto.

Does anyone know of an batch EXIF editor that preserves the OSX file creation dates?

(If not I'll write my own shell script, and make it available)

• 5. Re: Does iPhoto make use of time zone information?
    Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (123,850 points)

I never use iPhoto to import photos from a device or SDcard.

Your choice but you're making unnecessary work for yourself.

I always use Preview app to grab a copy of the files when the iPad or iPhone is connected to the iMac.

For other cameras etc I copy direct from the SDcard to a folder on th iMac.

Perhaps you should explore Image Capture (in the Applications Folder)

This way i always have an original "untouched" set (usually placed on my backup drive).

iPhoto makes an '"untouched" set' when importing. Backing up the Library protects that '"untouched" set' - and everything else.

I then import the best ones into iPhoto for further enhancements (rotate, crop etc), group them into events and then create a corresponding album where any subset of them can be arranged in any order.

Why only import the best ones? Why manage the Photos with both the Finder and the Photoo Manager? You're using two apps for the same job - one designed specifically for the job, one that treats all data the same -  and they are not in sync. More importantly there is no way to keep them in sync.

And this leads to your next problem:

BUT !!! If you also tick [  ]"Modify original files", then it will alter the same in the original files THEN

by doing so OSX changes the "file creation date" and "file modification date" to your current computer time ("today"), i.e. those original files will looks as if they are copies made today. The relative time between shots can then only be obtained by looking into the EXIF data (tedious).

But it's not at all tedious to use the Exif if you use a Photo Manager for the job. You're working on the basis that the file and the data it contains are the same thing. That's like assuming the shoes and the shoe box are the same thing. iPhoto is about the data, the Finder about the files. The file modification dates change all the time a files are moved, emailed edited and so on. That's why the Photo Metadata was invented. The Photo date doesn't change when the file does.

So, if you use a Photo Manager as it is intended your life will be simpler and involve less work. And you won't have to write scripts to achieve the pointless.

• 6. Re: Does iPhoto make use of time zone information?
    HalfWormBite Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

@Terence Devlin

Thanks for your insight into iPhoto. If iPhoto was as you describe i would agree.

You are however assuming that all your users will only ever use iPhoto... and that  iPhoto will ALWAYS allow a user to retrieve the original file (Apple has been known to remove features afetr an "upgrade").

My experience is this (iPhoto'11 vers 9.4.3) ...

1. Selecting one photo in an iPhoto "event" list and then "export'ing and choosing to save in its original name, iphoto tells me:

"Unable to create /Users/<username>/Documents/"

i.e. it is trying to save it with a null name (has it lost the original filename?) even though that filename is still there as the photo title.

2. I got brave and selected the whole events library and tried "export"ing that to my backup drive...

iPhoto complains that it cant find some original files. Because there's no option to abort the batch export!, I had to individually "cancel" each of those "missing" files but eventually it continued and then ......

wait for it...... iPhoto crashed!!!!

And you expect users to trust this app (or any other for that matter)) with their irreplacable pics???

Sorry, I love app(le)s but im not that brave!

As for EXIF within iPhoto, I'm afraid it's selective as to what EXIf fields it displays.

Re: "iPhoto makes an '"untouched" set'"

Thats nice but when I have photos with the wrong EXIF "date" fields I prefer to fix those dates just once.

By your comment a date change within iPhoto doesnt change its "original" so after exporting an original a user would need to fix the incorrect dates again before using those originals elsewhare (in another app or on another system).

This thread started because of the time zone problem (zone info not visible within iPhoto and certainly not editable).

It would be nice if the EXIF fields such as time zone, local time, UTC and GPS location etc were correctly handled (and checked for consitency) within iPhoto (and made visible). Perhaps that's wishful thinking on my part...

• 7. Re: Does iPhoto make use of time zone information?
    Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (123,850 points)

You are however assuming that all your users will only ever use iPhoto... and that  iPhoto will ALWAYS allow a user to retrieve the original file (Apple has been known to remove features afetr an "upgrade").

Not at all. It's perfectly possible to get your photos out of iPhoto, to migrate to another app or system and to retrieve your original file.

1. Selecting one photo in an iPhoto "event" list and then "export'ing and choosing to save in its original name, iphoto tells me:

"Unable to create /Users/<username>/Documents/"

i.e. it is trying to save it with a null name (has it lost the original filename?) even though that filename is still there as the photo title.

No, that's a symptom of a corrupted Library.

2. I got brave and selected the whole events library and tried "export"ing that to my backup drive...

iPhoto complains that it cant find some original files.

So is this.

So, all your problems are down to a corrupted Library, not iPhoto. There are a number of protections against this - not least being a back up. There are also ways to fix it. Without knowng more of your set up it would be hard to progress this issue. But in a healthy library these issues do not arise.

And you expect users to trust this app (or any other for that matter)) with their irreplacable pics???

Yes. I expect them to trust the app, like any app on their computer. And like any data on their computer it needs to be backed up.

iPhoto has never claimed to offer all the Exif fields, just the main ones. It's a consumer app after all.

Thats nice but when I have photos with the wrong EXIF "date" fields I prefer to fix those dates just once.

By your comment a date change within iPhoto doesnt change its "original" so after exporting an original a user would need to fix the incorrect dates again before using those originals elsewhare (in another app or on another system).

No, as you describe yourself, you can change the Exif in iPhoto and alter the original file.

What you are complaining about is that the file date changes. From your first post:

by doing so OSX changes the "file creation date" and "file modification date" to your current computer time ("today"), i.e. those original files will looks as if they are copies made today

What I'm pointing out is that the Photo Date is quite distinct from the file date. This is true on all computer systems and all photo applications.

So, no your photos won't look as if they are copies made today. The files might but that's quite a different thing.

• 8. Re: Does iPhoto make use of time zone information?
    Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (115,700 points)
    That fixes the problem so that the pictures show up correctly in iPhoto, but that would also change the EFIX data to be two hours ahead of when the pictures were taken.

Yes.  And be sure you check the box to apply it to the orignal files.

OT