Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcast goes haywire on iTunes 11.1

After upgrading to IOS7 and iTunes 11.1, my Podcasts have all gone haywire.

ITunes have deleted all my Podcasts which I have not configures to sync with my iPhone. All episodes disappeared. In some Podcasts (but not all), all episodes other than those ticked got deleted.

I could download them again (or retrieve from Time Machine) but if I exit and restart iTunes, it will just revert back to being deleted. Then, when I sync it gets deleted from my phone too.

This new Podcast is really terrible. It got installed and reset all my Settings and I had to reset back everything. It was like I was installing a Windows app or something!!

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 7:28 AM

33 replies

Sep 19, 2013 8:30 AM in response to Jimemmeline

All my podcasts went away when they were still in my iTunes Library in my Home Music folder. This is almost unexpeptible. Plus what ever I do in my podcasts (I had to resubscribe) I can't stop the Pocast from playing the next automatically. What ever I do iTune now plays the next pocast track. I tried unchecking shullfe but it keeps doing continuies playback.

Sep 19, 2013 8:32 PM in response to satcomer

My files disappeared from the iTunes library.

If I click to update podcasts, all episodes I have previously downloaded or retrieved from Time Machine disappear. So, I wasted all my time retrieving and downloading episodes.

Somehow, it only recognises those episodes that it were checked when it was first updated plus all new ones since updating. Clicking subscribe or update will revert whatever episodes I had to those it recognises, deleting all old episodes that I have re-downloaded or retrieved.

Is anyone from Apple listening?

Sep 19, 2013 8:40 PM in response to Jimemmeline

What happens if you recover the lost podcasts from the Time Machine, and then immediately change "Media Kind" to Audiobook or Music? Do they remain in the library long enough for that to work?

General tip: if you want to keep a podcast episode in the long term, change the Media Kind - Apple has (annoyingly) designed podcast use around the assumption that they're only in your library for the short term, when of course lots of podcasts - language lessons and music ones, for example - don't really fit the "talk radio episode" template that Apple/iTunes seems to try to shoehorn them into.

Sep 19, 2013 10:20 PM in response to Lost in Asia

Oh, one other possibility: upon adding the file back to the library, mark it as unplayed, or Reset Plays. Perhaps iTunes is deleting the episode because you've already played it, and iTunes seems to believe you'd never want to keep a podcast you've already listened to.

What seems to go on in iTunes' podcast system: the List view as of 11.1 shows all episodes of podcasts currently available. Some podcasts, such as This American Life, only go back one episode: they don't have older episodes available through the normal podcast system. Other podcasts make everything available back to their very beginnings, so they may have hundreds or even thousands of available episodes. (Most seem to fall between these two extremes, and go back a couple of months.)

iTunes occasionally sometimes seems to decide that, if a podcast isn't "currently available" - i.e. if it's an episode of This American Life that you downloaded six months ago - that episode doesn't in fact exist, or at least shouldn't exist, and will therefore wipe it off your system. I have no idea what particularly prompts this behavior, but it's happened to me a few times.

Sep 20, 2013 12:24 AM in response to Lost in Asia

Thanks, Lost in Asia. Can try but don't think it will work.

Episodes I retrieve/download gets added to iTunes and will sync with my phone. When the desktop updates, all those added will disappear. So, I am doing a bit of guerilla syncing. I download/retrieve. Then, I sync. Listen to them to the end before I sync again. If I sync before I finish, that episode disappears.

I don't think it is the played tag that causes the issue. Played and unplayed tags both fall foul to the problem. Basically, I noticed iTunes only recognises two types of episodes to keep in the Podcast list:

1. Episodes ticked when the software was updated.
  2. New episodes since the software was updated.

Any others will get deleted when the podcast is updated. These will be episodes listed in my Podcast but not ticked when software was updated, whether played or not.

I just did a sync and noticed that one of my episodes that is unticked got synced. It wasn't completed played out. This has never happened before. The 'Sync only ticked songs and videos' remained checked.

Do the Apple people read these posts or do we need to lobby them. I am not sure if Podcasts users are poor cousins to Music users. I can't find any other headings of this nature on the forum but I have read complaints about Podcast not working well under other headings.

Sep 21, 2013 8:04 PM in response to Jimemmeline

This seems to be working for me:

Podcasts playlist in iTunes is empty

If the podcasts playlist in the Source list of iTunes becomes empty unexpectedly, don't worry—they're still on your computer and can be easily added back into iTunes by following these instructions.

1. Open iTunes.
  2. Open iTunes Preferences:
    Mac users—From the iTunes menu, choose Preferences.
    Windows users—On the Edit menu, click Preferences.
  3. Click the Advanced tab. Your iTunes Media folder location is displayed in the iTunes Media folder location window.
  4. Make note of your iTunes Media folder location. Click OK or Cancel to close the Preferences dialog.
  5. In iTunes, add the podcast files back to the Library:
    Mac users—From the File menu, choose Add to Library.
    Windows users—On the File menu, click Add Folder to Library.
  6. In the resulting window, navigate to your iTunes Media folder (the location you noted in step 4), select the Podcasts folder inside of it, and click Choose (Mac) or OK (Windows).

iTunes will add all of your downloaded podcasts back to your iTunes Library and to Podcasts in the Source list. To resubscribe to your podcasts, select Podcasts in the Source list, then click any desired Subscribe button.

Last Modified: Mar 27, 2012

Sep 21, 2013 8:49 PM in response to DelphicO

Thanks DelphicO

Done that but no, they are not on my iTunes Media folder anymore. I have to download or retrieve them from Time Machine.

If I redownload, they disappear from the Podcast list when the Podcast update with new subscription. They are also no longer in the iTunes Media file.

If I retrieve from Time Machine, they likewise disappear from the Podcast list. The files are still there in the iTunes Media folder but I need to add them again.

It is bizzare and a real pain.

Strangely, it only happens with Podcast with subscription (and the episode was not ticked when the software was updated). I have two Podcasts not ticked to sync but they were not affected because the subscription was not turned on.

Sep 26, 2013 5:08 AM in response to Jimemmeline

For me, itunes is deleting podcasts from my hard drive but not from my library. Many of my podcasts, over half, now have a "cloud" next to them, which I guess is the new "download now" symbol. I think what they've done is taken the liberty of removing many of the listened-to programs from our harddrives while still giving us access to them if needed. Like they're doing us a favor. I can see all of my podcasts (I have over 385 days worth of audio), but many of them are "in the cloud". This should be an option but not something that is suddenly mandated.

I'm also having problems syncing with my iphone to the point that I can no longer plug it into my computer. Fortunately, the phone downloads my new podcasts automatically so I am able to listen to them as they are available.

I assume this will all be resolved within a week or so but it's very frustrating.

Sep 28, 2013 5:16 AM in response to Jimemmeline

I'm having the same problem with a slight wrinkle: older podcasts i have downloaded directly to my ipod appear with the blue 'unplayed' dot in iTunes in list view. Not on the overall podcast mind you, like when you have a real new episode! And I cannot 'Mark as Played', so the blue dots stay there, on podcasts that have not yet been downloaded onto my computer! (They still have the little 'cloud' icon.)

Grrrr!

Podcast goes haywire on iTunes 11.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.