Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirDrop on iPad2

Should the iPad2 have airdrop when you update it to iOS7 because it is not showing up in the control centre?

Help please, Thanks :)

iPad 2, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 8:00 AM

It's not supported on the 2.

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/

AirDrop is available on iPhone 5 or later, iPad (4th generation), iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation) and requires an iCloud account

34 replies

Sep 19, 2013 6:05 PM in response to Skydiver119

I believe it is disabled on iPad 2 because of the bluetooth speeds. iPad mini received BT 4 while iPad 2 has BT 2. There's a large speed/bandwith difference between the two and with how Airdrop uses BT to search/pass data around (combo of BT and wifi) it is possible that this is the reason why iPad 2 did not get the feature.

I mention iPad mini because someone asked me this same question about why an iPad 2 didn't get it. They were annoyed iPad mini's (essentially same hardware) received it. I provide this explanation for anyone in the future to stumble on the thread.

Sep 19, 2013 6:49 PM in response to EppO

No it uses BT to scan and locate devices. Once a connection is established and the device needs to send the file, the file is sent over a Ad-hoc styled Wifi connection between the two devices.

While Apple does not go into details on their site, it has been looked into by various people and it has been revealed that this is how it works. Apples site even states it uses a combination of the two.

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/#airdrop

Oct 7, 2013 11:04 AM in response to EppO

I'll chime in now. If BT is used for discovery, initial contact and building the WiFi had-hoc network which is used to transfer the file then speed is not an issue for the BT connection as it is NOT used for the transfer of the file. The BT 2.1 capabilities on the iPAD 2 are certianly sufficiant so, I for one would really like to know why Apple has once again left iPAD2 users ount in the cold.

Oct 7, 2013 12:08 PM in response to darknet

On one side, AirPlay is only supported on Bluetooth 4.0 capable iOS devices.

On the other side, AirDrop is supported on many macs (MBP late 2008 or newer, iMac early 2009 or newer, ...) that supports only BT 2.1.

I guess Airplay is using SSP (Secure Simple Pairing) (but the protocol specs are quite opaque because AirPlay is a proprietary protocol) that was introduced in BT 2.1, because you don't have to enter any PIN code, as the BT connection is seamless.

So, again, it looks questionable to limit AirPlay support to the newest iOS devices.

Oct 16, 2013 4:58 AM in response to adil1997

It is so very sad to see that we are caught in a marketing shortsighted mans mania. The excitement of apple has faded and much of its initial functionality lost. Many friends have already started abandoning apple products. I won't go on. I am writing this on an ipad2. I find it hard to believe that the ability is not present when my old Nokia could.

Oct 16, 2013 5:59 AM in response to Bigfoot2015

Bigfoot2015 wrote:

I find it hard to believe that the ability is not present when my old Nokia could.

No, your old Nokia didn't have AirDrop either. It has been explained in this thread that the older iPads do not have all of the hardware necessary. You are not "caught up" in anything. Your iPad still has all the same features (actually probably a few more) than it did when you bought it.

Best of luck.

Oct 23, 2013 6:30 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

The point that Bigfoot is trying to make is that on the old Nokias it was possible for a simple file (for the sake of iOS let's just say a photo) to be transferred from one device to another without the need for an Internet connection (through Bluetooth). The only option other than email, iMessage etc for a device such as the iPad 2 is a third party iOS file transfer app which so far I have only found ones that work on Bluetooth. based on my experience, these apps are unreliable, very slow (compared to Bluetooth file transfers on my Nokia C3) and need to be paid for in order to enable more than one file transfer at a time.

Oct 23, 2013 8:11 PM in response to AR1AN

AR1AN wrote:

The point that Bigfoot is trying to make is that on the old Nokias it was possible for a simple file (for the sake of iOS let's just say a photo) to be transferred from one device to another without the need for an Internet connection (through Bluetooth).

I think you've missed the point of my post. Bigfoot claims to have been mislead and to have an iPad with "much of its initial functionality lost". Neither are true. Their iPad 2 does exactly what it did when they bought it. In fact, it probably does more with the software updates.

Oct 31, 2013 7:28 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Hi Meg,

To save any confusion and with a quick thanks to AR1AN.

I was directly referring to the ease and simplicity of passing work files whether they be PDFs, spreadsheets or work Documents even images from one device to another. I did not want to come back to this page to leave another comment but your last messsage prompted me to.

I am not a simple user of technology and have adopted the use of many devices over the years. Having one of the most rudimentary technologies roled back purely for the sake of an app opportunity was a great oversight in my eyes. It had me baffled. Recently i had wished to manipulate some photographs on my ipad whilst killing some time. The direct response that I had received from support relating to this request was simple.

" Email yourself ". LOL

The Ipad was groundbreaking for its time. The old tech oversights were initally overlooked with all the new software developments that were and remain rather impressive. Again to be told that the older versions of Ipad cannot adopt the new airdrop feature was poor.

Meg please do not continue to tell me that i missunderstand myself or the unit. Ipads from there inception held incredible processing power and opportunity to make processes simpler. To this end emailing myself images was not one of those wow moments.

Nov 1, 2013 4:39 AM in response to Bigfoot2015

Bigfoot2015 wrote:

Meg please do not continue to tell me that i missunderstand myself or the unit. Ipads from there inception held incredible processing power and opportunity to make processes simpler. To this end emailing myself images was not one of those wow moments.

I never said you misunderstood yourself, or, in fact replied to you at all. I do, however, maintain that you are wrong when you say your iPad has lost functionality.

Having one of the most rudimentary technologies roled back purely for the sake of an app opportunity was a great oversight in my eyes. It had me baffled.

What rudimentary technology was "roled (sic) back"? What funtionality for transfering files did you have when first got your iPad that you don't have now?

And frankly, emailing is a whole lot simpler than AirDrop.

Best of luck.

AirDrop on iPad2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.