Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart Playlist no longer syncs

I have several simply smart playlists that I sync to my iPod, to help aid me in assigning ratings to unrated songs from ARTIST-NAME.

They are of the form:

[x] Match all of the following rules:

Artist contains [ARTIST-NAME]

Rating is 0 stars

[x] Live updating

They used to work fine under iTunes 11.0.5 on my iMac and iOS 6.x on my iPod Touch.

After upgrading to iTunes 11.1 on my iMac, and IOS 7.0 on my iPod Touch yesterday, the smart playlists appear on my iPod, but no songs appear inside them - the screen in each smart playlist shows "No Content". If I browse the Music app via the Artists category, I do see the songs on the iPod.

I've tried restarting my iPod, deleting the smart playlists and creatinbg ones from scratch, but nothings seems to work.

Anyone have success with Smart Playlists syncing under the new iTunes & iOS?

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 3:42 AM

You are not alone. This problem with smart playlist handling has been around since the very first beta of iOS 7. Now that it's officially released, I'm planning on making an official "bug report" on Apple's feedback page.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

For some reason, the zero-star smart playlists show up empty on the iPhone (using iOS 7). But if you were to create a five-star smart playlist, it will sync just fine & display all the right songs. In iOS 6, if you were to adjust the star rating of the song on the iPhone (ie. change it to a four-star rating), the song would be instantly removed from the five-star playlist. In iOS 7, the song doesn't budge until you sync with iTunes on your Mac.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2013 3:42 AM in response to Jaime Villacorte

You are not alone. This problem with smart playlist handling has been around since the very first beta of iOS 7. Now that it's officially released, I'm planning on making an official "bug report" on Apple's feedback page.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

For some reason, the zero-star smart playlists show up empty on the iPhone (using iOS 7). But if you were to create a five-star smart playlist, it will sync just fine & display all the right songs. In iOS 6, if you were to adjust the star rating of the song on the iPhone (ie. change it to a four-star rating), the song would be instantly removed from the five-star playlist. In iOS 7, the song doesn't budge until you sync with iTunes on your Mac.

Smart Playlist no longer syncs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.