Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Music Libraries on One iDevice

I currently use iTunes to manage my music on my iMac and Macbook. I have my Electronic Music seperated into its own library for various reasons. As a DJ it's way easier to manage that way rather than having to dig through Led Zeppelin and The Beatles and all my other regular music.

To do this I use the "hold Option button while opening iTunes" which allows me to choose what library I'm trying to access.

What I want is to be able to sync these multiple music libraries onto my iPhone AND KEEP THEM SEPERATE.

I really don't want to have to merge them together to get all of the music onto my iPhone. It's much more conveinient for them to be seperated. Right now I sync my electronic music to my iPod and my 'regular' music to my iPhone, but it's sort of redudant to be carrying around two devices when this is literally just a software patch away from iTunes being able to do it. (Wake up Apple)

So I guess what I'm asking is if there are any thrid party apps that allow one to do this.

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 12:59 PM

Cant do that m8.

The device can only handle 1 library at a time. Thats the way its intended to be used. That feature, having 2 libraries on an iPhone/ipod sounds like it would be very easy to do something wrong and cause a whole lotta problems.

4 replies

Sep 19, 2013 1:29 PM in response to THEcheesewire

Thanks for the reply

I guess I understand why Apple hasn't enabled this; because then you could upload your friends library without paying etc. but obviously there is a practical / legit purpose for having this feature. I don't see why there would be problems. If iTunes can do it then so should your iPhone. Or they could at least come out with a way to divide a single library into seperate classes. Kind of like how your audio books are saved in a seperate section under Music. Maybe there is a way to do that?

All I really want is all of my music on one device without having my electronic music mixed in with my regular music. I tried just doing it by utilizing the "genre" but I don't want DJ So n' So to be right next to The Doors when viewing by Artist.

I know I must sound completely OCD and insane. 😐

Jul 24, 2014 9:27 PM in response to mrblonde314

I would like Apple to implement a solution to this also. I work as an Aerobics instructor and have lots of aerobic music in a separate library to my personal preferred listening music. I have a 64gb iPod Touch that has the capacity to carry both libraries but I have to separate them. One library is currently stored on my ipod (aerobics) and the other library is stored on my iphone. 😐

Have you managed to find any work around since you posted this?

Jul 25, 2014 8:31 AM in response to jnrburgers

If you use manual syncing, you can sync items from more than one iTunes library to your iPod. (You can sync iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad with only one iTunes library.) When manually managing content, you can add content from multiple libraries to your iPod or iPad. Even when manually managing music, some content may be available from only one library at time. This includes all content on iPhone and video content on iPod and iPad. http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12113 and http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1202

As for multiple libraries you can put in a request to Apple but I would not wait for it. (Hint: the big media companies do not want people syncing all their buddies' libraries to each others iPods, and who controls distribution of media to the company that designs iTunes?)

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

Multiple Music Libraries on One iDevice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.