Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari force reloads tabs, works slow, half opens webpages, unclickable links

I am running Safari Version 6.0.5 (8536.30.1) on OSX 10.8.5. Then out of a blue pages in Safari started loading eternally slow. Either the blue line over the webpage address would start running and freeze with a simple site site loading minutes, or a site would load actually more or less ok but after scrolling down:

- many links would become unclickable as if there were any

- the webpage would load, but after scrolling back and forth part of it would turn white and not scroll down any more, although it did show the whole page just moment ago

- part of the page loads and other part is displaid as white space.

Resetting Safari, clearing Web site data and cookies, CleanMyMac-ing, all these to no avail. At some point playing around and trying to load different web sites in Safari I got the following message:

Webpages are not responding. To visit the selected webpage, all webpages in other tabs and windows must be force reloaded. Do you want to visit this page? Force reloading might lose information you've entered.

with CANCEL or VISIT PAGE to react. Clicking on either did not resolve the problem.

I have neither installed any software nor Safari extensions. Except maybe the most recent OSX update yesterday which was necessary for iTunes getting iRadio. Google, Opera, Firefox are all running perfectly just like Safari has been doing until today.

Any idea what is wrong?😕

Safari 6.0.5-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 11:25 AM

Please answer as many of the following questions as you can. You may already have answered some of them.

1. Have you restarted your router and broadband modem since you first noticed the problem? If the answer is no, do that now and see whether there's any change.

2. Are any other web browsers installed, and are they the same?

3. What about other Internet applications, such as iTunes and the App Store?

4. Are there any other devices on the same network that can browse the Web, and are they affected?

5. If you can test Safari on another network, is it the same there?

6. If you connect to your router with Wi-Fi and you can also connect with Ethernet, do that and turn off Wi-Fi. Any difference?

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2013 11:25 AM in response to maximx

Please answer as many of the following questions as you can. You may already have answered some of them.

1. Have you restarted your router and broadband modem since you first noticed the problem? If the answer is no, do that now and see whether there's any change.

2. Are any other web browsers installed, and are they the same?

3. What about other Internet applications, such as iTunes and the App Store?

4. Are there any other devices on the same network that can browse the Web, and are they affected?

5. If you can test Safari on another network, is it the same there?

6. If you connect to your router with Wi-Fi and you can also connect with Ethernet, do that and turn off Wi-Fi. Any difference?

Sep 19, 2013 11:57 PM in response to Linc Davis

1. I restarted my Airport Extreme today. And also canceled old profile connection and created a new one. Nothing changed.
  2. I have had Opera and Chrome for quite a while now, have not had any difficulties with them whatsoever.
  3. Never experienced any problems with iTunes, same for App Store. I do not use the latter very often so tried to update some existing and download Stuck On Earth 175Mb application, which went smoothly.
  4. Yes: TV, phones, tablets – all work great. Although same evening when iox7 was released it did downloading of updates slower than usual. Safari on these devices runs great.
  5. I will be able to try other networks on the coming Monday only. But earlier that day when I started experiencing my problems with Safari I was on the other Ethernet connection and everything was fine (did not use WiFi on other than home networks lately, but in the past it always worked well too).
  6. I will be able to do this on the coming Monday only as I have no adapter from Ethernet to thunderbolt at home to try it our.

Yesterday I have noticed that Safari was working fine for a short period of time, about 15 minutes or so. Then the lags returned.

I have also noticed that when the loading of a web page gets stuck and the rainbow ball appear spinning around occasionally, Safari will not appear in the Force Quite Application window as not responding.

Will let you know about point 5 and 6 on Monday when I have tested it.

Thank you for response.

Sep 20, 2013 8:44 AM in response to maximx

Step 1

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences Extensions

Turn all extensions OFF and test. If the problem is resolved, turn extensions back ON and then disable them one or a few at a time until you find the culprit.

If you wish, you may be able to salvage the errant extension by uninstalling and reinstalling it. Its settings will revert to their defaults. If the extension still causes a problem, remove it permanently or refer to its developer for support.

Step 2

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

and confirm. Test.

Sep 20, 2013 10:03 AM in response to maximx

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, or by corruption of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain iMacs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of steps 1 and 2.

Safari force reloads tabs, works slow, half opens webpages, unclickable links

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.