Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to recover iPhone contacts lost after IOS 7 upgrade?

I installed iOS7 on my iPhone 5 and all my contacts are gone. How do I recover them?

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 3:59 AM

same situation... contacts stored in the phone and not in icloud. Please help us!

26 replies

Sep 20, 2013 3:35 PM in response to Boxter38

I found it... I found it!!!! I am so excited! If you have backed up to the Cloud... Go to settings and turn off syncing contacts to the cloud. Save (nonexistent) contacts on the phone. Back out of settings... go back in and turn syncing contacts to the Cloud back on... Voila!!!!! The all reappeared. Whew! I hope it works for you!

Nov 12, 2013 10:57 PM in response to Boxter38

Once you create the new (empty) "Backup" folder, copy the backup file you want to restore (from the backup file you just renamed to backup old or whatever) into that folder. Then launch iTunes and plug your iPhone. It should say that the iPhone has never been backed up. When you select 'restore backup' you should only have the option to restore the backup you copied into the folder you created. The iPhone should restore normally.

Note: this worked for me last night on windows vista after 5 days of breaking my head searching for a solution and almost giving up but I was able to fully restore my replacement iPhone 5 with the iPhone 5 backup I made last Saturday.

Also, I had to create the copy of my backup file in windows safe-mode since I kept getting an error halfway through copying the file and could not create a copy when logged to the PC normally.

In my situation, I was replacing an iPhone 5 with a cracked screen. As soon as I tried to restore the first time, I got the error that the backup was corrupt but this method cleared that issue.

Hope this helps some of you.

Dec 7, 2013 5:31 AM in response to jonestock

If you often use your iPhone to send or receive messages, all the SMS messages are on your iPhone, once your iPhone was lost or stolen,how to recover lost iPhone text messages? After update your iPhone 5, iPhone 4S to iOS 7 cause lost SMS, how to recover iPhone SMS from iPhone iOS ? Even if the device is crashed, smashed or broken, any way to recover lost SMS messages on iPhone, you may have the habit of deleted useless text messages regularly. In this situation, If you happened to come across this situation, you may be interested in the following use guide about recover iPhone SMS messages no matter lost or deleted.

<Link Edited By Host>

Dec 7, 2013 4:49 AM in response to Boxter38

Hello, friend, you can extract your contacts from the iTunes backup when you lost your iPhone. If you do not synced, you can directly scan and recover deleted contacts from your iPhone.

Here are the steps of how to recover your iPhone contacts without backup

Step 1. Connect your iPhone to the computer

Step 2. Enter the device's scanning mode and scan it

You can follow the steps below to enter the device's scanning mode to scan it:

1. Hold your iPhone and click the "Start" button.

2. Pressing the "Power" and "Home" button simultaneously for 10 seconds;

3. In 10 seconds, release "Power" button, while keep holding "Home" button for another 15 seconds until you get the message of successfully entering.

Step 3: Preview and recover iPhone contacts

<Link Edited by Host>

Aug 26, 2014 2:46 AM in response to Boxter38

When you upgrade to iOS 7 and fail to lose all contents, including some important contacts. The solution can be following:

First, check whether you have iTunes backup of your iPhone or not by clicking “Edit” > “Preference” > “Devices” in iTunes. If the answer is yes, restore your iPhone with the iTunes backup.

<Edited by Host>

Aug 25, 2014 1:14 AM in response to Boxter38

Ok - here is a crazy fix about How to Restore Contacts on iPhone.

After accidentally deleting contacts on the iphone 4 and then pluging it into itunes while failing to stop an automatic backup - (thereby overwriting itunes contacts with the now blank contacts from the iphone (all gone...) my wife came up with the following fix...

1. Open message app - Pick a message thread which has a name.

2. Scroll up and open contact info. There was the contact.

3. Then select - 'share contact' - choose 'by message' - and send it to yourself.

4. Then you will recieve this message as 'attachment: 1 contact'.

5. Open it and then select 'add to existing contact'. When this opens you can see all of your contacts.

She did this three or four times and played around some more with different messages and suddenly by the fourth time you could see all the contacts through the contact app. This last bit is a little vague but at least by step 5 you can see that all your contacts are still in your phone somewhere. Play around after that and with a little luck someone can add the details of the last step.

Good luck!

Sep 1, 2014 3:16 AM in response to Boxter38

Last year, I also lost my contacts of clients on my iPhone 4 after IOS 7 upgraded. Disgusting! I couldn't contact my clients and my boss scolded at me. I searched for solutions on the Internet. Luckily after several days, just on this website, I saw someone talk about software of data recovery, which helps me out. I remember the guide of how to restore contacts on iPhone is:

1. Connect your phone to the computer and run the program

2. Scan and preview the files on your iPhone

3. Recover the deleted contacts you want to get

It sounds easy, right? I hope it can help you. Good luck!

Sep 1, 2014 3:12 AM in response to emilyiaa

emilyiaa wrote:

Last year, I also lost my contacts of clients on my iPhone 4 after IOS 7 upgraded. Disgusting! I couldn't contact my clients and my boss scolded at me. I searched for solutions on the Internet. Luckily after several days, just on this website, I saw someone talk about software of data recovery, which helps me out.

Why don't you backup your contacts? it's free, fast and then you can never lose them.

My Contacts Backup (App Store)

How to recover iPhone contacts lost after IOS 7 upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.