Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 on iOS7 won't charge over USB

I updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 7 and plugged it into my PC with the USB cable like I always do and my phone no longer charges, it keeps draining the battery. Is this a known issues and is there a fix for it? Discouraging!! 😕

iPhone 5, iOS 7, USB Cable - Charging

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 11:15 AM

7 replies

Sep 19, 2013 12:50 PM in response to paulfromsaint louis

That *****. I haven't tried to charge it via USB yet. But I'm trying to figure out why my **** battery is draining SO fast since I updated last night. I listened to music for an hour and a half during my programming class and now trying to find an answer as to why it's dying it's now at 38%!! Usually it'd be that after a full day of using it, not half a day of NOT using it!! Help!!

Sep 19, 2013 1:00 PM in response to paulfromsaint louis

I just discovered the same issue. I was in my car with the phone plugged in and I completely freaked out because I'm watching my 100% battery drain down to 20% in less than 10 minutes. Top it off I think the phone is completely borked because I have NO cellular data now. NONE.

I drive all the way out of my way to the Verizon store and it turns out local cellular service is out. OK fine. I can live with that for a bit, but I ask about charging cable. I have my apple approved BELKIN cable and the dope in the store tells me he has no clue.

Now I'm going to assume Apple "approves" of Belkin products since they are for sale in the Apple store and in the apple store online.

But I came here and I find this thread and phones not charging. I'm watching my battery drain right now.

Sep 19, 2013 1:53 PM in response to paulfromsaint louis

I just got off the phone with Apple.

Their suggestion was to do a complete restore. It's a two step process but I think it worked. I'll know for sure once my stupid cell service comes back and I can test how long the battery takes to charge again.

They said it could be a software issue and restoring it might help.

YES, you CAN put your backed up items in once you reinstall the software.

MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR PHONE BEFORE YOU RESTORE. If you don't you will lose everything.

Sep 19, 2013 4:29 PM in response to tkdmama13

TKDmamma, I believe it's a "fix" for both at the same time.

Sadly, it does NOT help. I have an appt at the Apple store on Monday.

My phone took 3 1/2 hours to charge 50%. That is unacceptable.

Also, go to http://apple.com/feedback and COMPLAIN your heart out on anything that is terrible about the new iOS or nothing will get done. That came directly from the manager I just spoke with.

She said it is very important to use that feedback link because Apple does notice when a lot of complaints come in. If nothing comes in or not enough, it is deemed 'accepted by everyone' and the few complaints are not enough to warrant a massive change.

Sep 19, 2013 4:51 PM in response to Twitchin Kitten

Twitchin Kitten, thanks for the info. That's too bad that it didn't work. I was going to try it if you said it worked, I was hoping it did! :/

Thanks for the link you provided, I will definitely leave a comment.

When I charge my, via the wall outlet, charging seems to happen at the same rate as before. I guess everyone may have different 'symptoms'.

But I'm positive Apple will pull through and fix this, like they've done before. And after only one day of being available and all the issues they're having, I'm sure their techs are swamped!! I'm not going to start hating on them when I love their products. I'll give them a few more days... ;)

Sep 20, 2013 7:26 AM in response to paulfromsaint louis

Turns out I had a bad USB cable.., which is still odd since it will work on the block plug, just not recoginized on PC. I used my wife's lightening cable and it came up fine and charged. My cable was working fine prior to iOS 7 .., I guess just a coincidence that it no longer works reliably? (I did get it to work once last night, but it failed again this morning)

At $20 a cable, these should be guranteed and replaced for LIFE!!

iPhone 5 on iOS7 won't charge over USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.