Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

another - "my iPod won't start up!"

So yeah, my iPod won't start up (aka - won't turn on). It's a 3rd generation 30GB iPod with the 4 solid state buttons.

I have searched for other threads about this, and nothing from them have worked.

My iPod has been "in storage" ... okay - in it's case ... for about three months, untouched, unmoved, at room temperature. It's never been dropped, and never been exposed to extreme temperatures, and now it won't turn on - even when plugged into the computer, or directly to it's power adaptor.

I have done the following things:
- battery is obviously drained, so did that
- plugged in for over 24 hours
- reset by holding the Menu and Play/Pause buttons
- toggled hold switch

Still nothing. When I reset it, it makes a very faint "click" after about 6 seconds (the same sort of click when the buttons are normally pressed).

Any suggestions? Thank you for any help!

PowerBook Pismo, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Jun 23, 2006 10:24 AM

11 replies

Jun 30, 2006 8:43 AM in response to Pismo

Yeah I do,

You can buy a replacement battery from Sonnet technologies. I just replaced the battery in my 2nd generation iPod and it was easy as pie.

The battery cost me £22 and came with a disc containing Quicktime videos showing you how to take apart and install a battery in each iPod from the first generation up to the iPod Mini.

They only thing it doesn't state is that you need Quicktime 7 in order to hear the sound in the video. I have Quicktime 6 and the video worked but the sound was choppy. Luckily I have flatemates with newer computers than mine and I was able to follow the intructions.

The procedure from start to finish took me about 10 minutes, and it was only that long because I was trying to be extra careful.

There's another company called 'Newertech' who also do replacement batteries. Either company is fine, the important thing is you're effectively getting a brand new iPod back.

another - "my iPod won't start up!"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.