Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

So i forgot my password and my Ipad Mini is disabled and i tried to restore it from my computer but it says i cant restore it because I need to turn off i cloud from my Ipad

Please help!!!!

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 2:00 PM

8 replies

Dec 24, 2013 1:40 AM in response to Sparkles2367

Thanks for the advice here, I'm following the instructions but just want to share my story so that others may learn (or at least share my pain!). We've passed on an old 3G iPad3 to a relative. They don't have wifi so I sat beside them while we set it up tethered to my iPhone. After setting up a passcode, 5 mins later they couldn't remember it and after multiple attempts the iPad is now disabled. I did turn "Find my iPhone" on but I hadn't yet setup the 3G connection so, when locked, the iPad won't connect to my tethered iPhone and therefore can't be wiped remotely.

Following the instructions on here I have now plugged it into a laptop with iTunes and am doing a complete restore. However, and this is the really frustrating bit, despite the iPad being fully up to date (iOS 7.0.4) iTunes on the laptop is insisting on downloading the full 1.34GB of the operating system. As there is no wifi it is doing this via my tethered iPhone. After about 800MB something went wrong with the tethered connection and the download stopped with an error. When I restarted it it went back to zero! Another 800MB in and the iPad seemed to timeout, again disrupting the download and sending it back to zero. I'm now on my third attempt at downloading iOS via my tethered iPhone and I'm rapidly burning through my monthly data allowance!

My suggestion to users is if you're setting up an iPad for someone else, make sure they write down their passcode! My suggestions for Apple (which I realize won't be heard on here) is to remove the need for iTunes to download the OS if the device is already upto date AND make the download process smart so that if something happens it doesn't reset to zero.

Feb 3, 2014 4:57 PM in response to Sparkles2367

I was having the hardest time restoring an Ipad mini due to a lost password. I followed the instructions here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1212?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US but couldn't get Itunes to acknowledge the Ipad in recovery mode even though the image on the Ipad had changed to the one with the Apple logo and a mini USB cable (Ipad was in recovery mode). Finally I switched the cable from the special IPad, 10 watt powered USB outlet to the standard USB outlet. This change caused Itunes to recognize the device immediately? So, this is just a note to let you know that at least on my system the the newer "prefered" IPad charging outlets may not allow a connection for an Ipad in recovery mode. *Also this Ipad have never been synced to the Mac I was using (maybe that matters?).

So i forgot my password and my Ipad Mini is disabled and i tried to restore it from my computer but it says i cant restore it because I need to turn off i cloud from my Ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.