Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does a deleted rule continue to function in Mail?

System is running OS X 10.5.5

Mail App version 5.3

I had made a rule to auto-reply to email while I was out. Went to Mail Preferences/Rules. selected the rule and hit Remove. It disappeared from my Rule window. However, when anyone sends me an email, they still get the auto-reply message. I've looked at the Rule box and the old rule does not appear. Any thoughts? I can't find where the "rules" are kept in the system or libraries.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 3:17 PM

The rules are supposedly at

~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/SyncedRules.plist

~/ is your User Folder.

~/Library is hidden by default; to show it, hold down the option key, and it will appear in the Go menu in the Finder.

That .plist file is probably corrupt. Drag it to the trash and restart. You'll have to reenter your Rules, but they will probably be fixed.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2013 3:17 PM in response to West42

The rules are supposedly at

~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/SyncedRules.plist

~/ is your User Folder.

~/Library is hidden by default; to show it, hold down the option key, and it will appear in the Go menu in the Finder.

That .plist file is probably corrupt. Drag it to the trash and restart. You'll have to reenter your Rules, but they will probably be fixed.

Why does a deleted rule continue to function in Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.