Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keypad tone heard during phone call

Recently when placing or receing calls on my iPhone 5 (running iOS7 and previous version) I hear what sounds like someone hitting a number button coming across my speaker. The other caller cannot hear this, but I can. It's not me accidentially hitting it, it's like a phantom tone somehow making it's way through my call. I have recently swapped out my old iPhone 5 due to an issue and apple replaced it with a new one... It never did this before.

Does anyone have a simple fix for this? Otherwise I may have to go in again...

iPhone 5, iOS 7, AT&T

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 2:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 1:12 PM

Same problem, and it's not the proximity sensor either. I have scoured the internet and seen others complaining about this, but not one person seems to know the answer.

It is very annoying when during the middle of a call this keytone sound blairs out all sound.

Anyway, it would be great if anyone on the planet has the knowledge and exact cause of this issue.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2013 1:12 PM in response to TaylorLefebvre

Same problem, and it's not the proximity sensor either. I have scoured the internet and seen others complaining about this, but not one person seems to know the answer.

It is very annoying when during the middle of a call this keytone sound blairs out all sound.

Anyway, it would be great if anyone on the planet has the knowledge and exact cause of this issue.

Dec 12, 2017 2:11 AM in response to TaylorLefebvre

Keytone sound during call.

I had the same issue on my iPhone 7 Plus and now with my new iPhone 8 plus on the Sprint network. I have reset my phone through Apple customer support assist and have an active case with Sprint and Apple. I think it is time to contact the media on this issue as both Sprint and Apple do not seem to have a clue as to what is causing the issue. I do notice that I do not have the keynote sound when calling a business, only when I call another cell phone or residential line. I do wonder if there could be interfierance or bleed through from another network close to the same MHz range. I have also brought up the question of active phone tapping on the network, which was quickly dismissed and I was reassured that that was not allowed. I just submitted another round of screen shots to Sprint and am growing very tired of the interruptions on the network. My next move will be to record the sounds and submit to the FCC.

Dec 12, 2017 11:59 AM in response to TaylorLefebvre

Keytone sound during call.

I had the same issue on my iPhone 7 Plus and now with my new iPhone 8 plus on the Sprint network. I have reset my phone through Apple customer support assist and have an active case with Sprint and Apple. I think it is time to contact the media on this issue as both Sprint and Apple do not seem to have a clue as to what is causing the issue. I do notice that I do not have the keynote sound when calling a business, only when I call another cell phone or residential line. I do wonder if there could be interfierance or bleed through from another network close to the same MHz range. I have also brought up the question of active phone tapping on the network, which was quickly dismissed and I was reassured that that was not allowed. I just submitted another round of screen shots to Sprint and am growing very tired of the interruptions on the network. My next move will be to record the sounds and submit to the FCC.

Please call the FCC and file a claim on this issue if your carrier claims they cannot assist. (Keytone sound during call)

Dec 30, 2013 4:07 PM in response to TaylorLefebvre

My case with all the notes (6 months worth) has been submitted according to Apple Engineering.

I would suggest anyone with this issue call Apple support, and ask for assistance from senior level support to submit a problem to engineering. Also, submit a feedback request here: http://www.apple.com/feedback

Ask to title your request "Keytone sound during call".

Last, make sure when you call Apple you are ready to run through the diagnostics they will want you to do.

That is:

1. Back up your phone first either through iTunes or iCloud.

2. Restore your Phone.

3. If you are on iOS7, make sure it's the latest version.

-- If you are on iOS6, the last version at this time is iOS 6.1.4

4. Be prepared to do that either prior to the call or during.

5. Ask for your case to be submitted to Engineering and to have a call back to resolve.

Hopefully if we all band together, they will find the issue and we can get our hearing back after the numbing keytone has been blasted in our ears enough times.

Please share your expierences here, but also note that other threads exist on this forum as well for the exact same problem!!

And many more!

... And on almost ALL the carrier forums for support as well. If we all ask for help, and not just complain here, we should get a meaningful response and hopefully a fix! Post up here when your case is in with Apple support.

Feb 13, 2014 12:20 AM in response to thebutlers2003

Yeah, Sprint is full of valuable advice like that.

What's amazing is Apple cant explain this issue. No one can apparently. It's an unexplained phenomena like Big Foot, UFO's and J'Lo's badunkydunk.

So to clarify.....

Apple has no answer.

AT&T has no answer.

Sprint has no answer.

Verizon has no answer.

Maybe we should call SETI as our phones seem to be phoning home....

Feb 18, 2014 8:35 PM in response to TaylorLefebvre

I've been having this issue as well since I got my iPhone 5 back in Oct 2012. I also recently got a new iphone 5 back in early Jan 2014 and it's still having this issue.

I will be talking to my fiancee and all of a sudden I hear what sounds like someone pressing down on one of the numbers. It's so loud and surprises me. My fiancee says she didn't hear anything.

This is such an annoying issue.

keypad tone heard during phone call

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.