Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why doesn't visual voicemail work after upgrading to ios 7?

After upgrading to iOS 7, visual voicemail on my iPhone 5 (Verizon) is no longer available. When I select voicemail, instead of showing the list of saved and new voicemail messages, it dials the voicemail number and I have to enter my password to retreive messages. I tried resetting my phone, re-entering my voicemail password, changing my voicemail password (both on the phone and on Verizon's website), leaving myself a voicemail message...nothing seems to work.

iPhone 5, iOS 7, Verizon, 64GB

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 3:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 3:51 PM

Might want to check with Verizon. Something about the update may have messed up things on their end. They may have to reset your voicemail.

23 replies

Sep 20, 2013 2:25 PM in response to brianhmb

I have the same issue with my iPhone 4 and german T-Mobile. After updating to iOS 7 my mailbox does not work for callers, just tells them I did not answer the call, and visual voicemail on my phone is not working and just calls the standard voicemail.

I tried to set a new password for visual voicemail in the phone settings (as supposed to do in some forums), but this just hangs after entering the new pin twice.

I changed the settings in the mailbox menu, so callers can record a message on my mailbox again, but visual voicemail still is not reactivated.

Sep 21, 2013 2:28 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Ok, I reactivate visual voicemail with the help of my carrier (note for other visitors from germany using T-Mobile: send an SMS with content VVM to 3011 and visual voicemail will work again), but I do not understand why a software update on my phone will lead to a not functional visual voicemail on the carriers server. Did the communication protocol change?

Sep 21, 2013 3:45 AM in response to brianhmb

Verizion told me it was an Apple bug and they would need to fix it. I went through all the different suggestions a second time (resetting network setting, power cycling device, leaving myself a message, etc.). After retreiving my message and deleting it, visual voicemail started working again and all of my saved messages populated on the phone.

Thank you all for your input.

Sep 29, 2013 10:59 AM in response to AC_Nova

Thank you for the simple fix. A new problem for me is that after the fix now I'm only seeing "4G" in the top network indicator (next to "T-Mobile"). Before the fix I was seeing T-Mobile LTE (their faster network). When I went to: Settings / Cellular / Cellular Data Network -- the LTE Setup (optional) fields are blank. Don't know what this means. Have I lost the LTE faster network feature? Will have to go to T-Mobile...but now my visual voicemail works...yaaaay

why doesn't visual voicemail work after upgrading to ios 7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.