Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old iMac with Display Out - External Monitor?

I have a 2006 iMac that's been sitting for a couple years, and the display just went out. I'd like to use it for random stuff (I have a new iMac and MacBook Air!). I was going to get a $10 mini-DVI cable and a cheap, used LCD monitor. My question: is VGA or the higher standard better (can't remember the name right now), and will this even work? If I plug the monitor in, will it automatically switch to the external display? Because the screen being out would prevent me from going to settings and changing the display out...

Thanks for any help!

17" iMac, 24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 4:15 PM

2 replies

Sep 19, 2013 9:25 PM in response to Daniel Hess

Hi Dniel, actually VGA will give you options than the later DVI stanrd...

Built-in Display:17.0" WidescreenNative Resolution:1440x900
Details:This model has a 17.0" widescreen TFT active matrix display with a native resolution of 1440x900. Apple also reports a "typical" brightness of 250 cd/m2, contrast ratio of 500:1, and viewing angle of 140 degrees horizontal and 120 degrees vertical.

Also see: What are the differences between the displays used in the iMac "Core Duo/Core 2 Duo" models? What is the viewable angle and the brightness of each?

Site sponsor Mission Repair offers free diagnosis of iMac hardware problems and a 24-hour repair service for this iMac. Display replacement, keyboard replacement, a hard drive upgrade service, and more are provided.
2nd Display Support:Dual/Mirroring2nd Max. Resolution:1920x1200*
Details:Apple reports that this model supports "digital resolutions up to 1920x1200" and "analog resolutions up to 2048x1536".

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_cd_1.83_17.html

Old iMac with Display Out - External Monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.