Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your selection contains more then one kind of media all items must be of the same kind in order to view or edit them togetherThis was not a problem before the recent update.What is wrong.

Error message!

Your selection contains more than one kind of media.

All items must be of the same kind of media in order to view or edit them together.

I did not have any problems with this feature until the recent update.

What is wrong or what do i need to do to be able to edit multiple items in albums or cd's in my iTunes library.

Hope someone can help

Cheers,

grytsen

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 6:08 PM

19 replies

Sep 20, 2013 2:18 PM in response to Grytsen

I'm one of those who likes to mix my media--having podcasts play interspaced with songs--and knew that after a previous upgrade aways back (version 7, maybe?) I had to bulk edit my incoming podcasts so that they weren't skipped in "multimedia" playlists. (And even that doesn't work on shuffles... For them, you seem to need dedicated "music" and "podcast" players.)

With this upgrade, that fix seems to no longer be possible. I tried separating them by "media kind: podcast," and when that didn't work, "media kind: podcast, kind: ACC audio file" or "...: MPEG audio file," or "...MPEG audio stream," but (at least in the case of the last one) even that doesn't work, since there are both audio and video podcasts in that grouping (and seemingly no way to separate them, except by eye. They're identified (in the "name" slot, with the little video icon), but there's no way to filter them via the "edit smart playlist" presets.

Hoping for a work-around, or for itunes to back this off in a future update. (Fat chance... As with some of the previous changes, itunes isn't made for the gigundo library database power user or the wierdos who like having their podcasts mixed into their playlists...and they're making it harder and harder to outfox them with work-arounds, too.

For the record, sorting by "media kind: music" and "media kind: music video" seemed to work (at least for me). But I'm stumped, podcast-wise... (so far, anyway...)

Sep 25, 2013 9:49 AM in response to Lost in Asia

Why can't Apple just FIX this... the reason I have to change podcasts to Music is because on the ipod shuffle you can't mix music and podcasts - - so OK I jump through a hoop and have to set all podcasts to Music after making a playlist... now they take the hoop away? I think these guys are smoking too much pot. Jeez...
The apple script does us using windows desktop no good...

Sep 25, 2013 10:31 AM in response to patmart00n

Yeah, though I admit I haven't looked at it too closely and admit I may be mistaken, it doesn't appear that Doug's applescript addresses my fix for podcasts--changing the "skip in playlists" default in the "other" menu to "No"--(though interestingly, your fix might...though I seem to recall there was a reason I didn't (or couldn't) tag podcasts as music when I first discovered the "no mixing" problem back a few itunes "upgrades" or ipod purchases ago. Perhaps I'll give it a try again later...)

Unfortunately, history suggests the functionality is never coming back. Folks who're out of the mainstream, usage or library -wise tend to be screwed every time.

I used to spend hours with multiple playlist windows open, editing tags, adding/correcting info, and creating new playlists. I forget which itunes "upgrade" killed that, but it was a mighty sad day for my library and listening pleasure.

The limit on the imatch deal is a joke (I have well over 5 times the limit, shutting me out of that aspect of the service entirely.) ((Yeah, I tried the "create a second library" "fix," but it didn't work for me...and repeatedly crashed my imac, taboot.))

And now it looks like my habit of mixing podcasts and music is done, as well... (which may not matter, seeing as how my (once) well-cultivated collection of old podcasts may be disappearing under this new itunes system, anyway. (Honestly, I'm too afraid to even look... I've saved NPR concert podcasts since 2006 or so (and Acoustic Long Island podcasts even longer thasn that), and it'll really break my live-music-lovin' heart to suddenly find large swaths of them gone and irretrievable because I foolishly "upgraded." Apple's got alot of dang nerve taking back our downloaded files...or at least warning us it was going to happen.)

Sep 30, 2013 1:01 AM in response to Lost in Asia

The Applescript will work fine for Title,Sort By,Artist and ETC, but I need to change 20 or 30 video files to the kind Movies, and this does not work. I do like the Applescripts for iTunes though. But I still do believe either Apple messed and broke something (Hope thats the case) or they just want to be as difficult as Windows is! LOL!

Oct 3, 2013 10:04 AM in response to neainc1

@neainc1

The Applescript will work fine for Title,Sort By,Artist and ETC, but I need to change 20 or 30 video files to the kind Movies, and this does not work. I do like the Applescripts for iTunes though. But I still do believe either Apple messed and broke something (Hope thats the case) or they just want to be as difficult as Windows is! LOL!

Good news! I did a search for "Home Video" on http://dougscripts.com/itunes/ and found another script: http://dougscripts.com/410 which is called "Set Video Kind of Selected v4.0".

It works and now I can do multi-editing of Media Kind to "Home Videos" and thereby view titles and dates under my hundreds of self-shot videos capturing guitar fingerings of songs I'm working on. Otherwise, all I had to go on was that in a really tiny percentage of the videos I could tell I was wearing clothes. Most, however, were of me in my fuzzy blue bathrobe, so overall(!) it was not possible to know which videos were which!

Good luck!

Your selection contains more then one kind of media all items must be of the same kind in order to view or edit them togetherThis was not a problem before the recent update.What is wrong.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.