Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saved Messages taking up space on ios7 iphone 5?

Looked at my usage and Messages are taking up a whole gigabiite!!? Anyone know how to fix this? Also have only 200 songs on iPhone taking up 1.2 gigs... should it really be that much? I think ios7 put all my songs onto the phone or something not sure please help thanks!

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 6:51 PM

2 replies

Oct 2, 2013 3:56 PM in response to TouchOwner21

TouchOwner21 wrote:

Looked at my usage and Messages are taking up a whole gigabiite!!? Anyone know how to fix this? Also have only 200 songs on iPhone taking up 1.2 gigs... should it really be that much? I think ios7 put all my songs onto the phone or something not sure please help thanks!

That sounds about the right amount of space for 200 songs. Each song is around 4MB under standard iTunes AAC encoding.

I am having the same problem with my Messages saved, though. It tells me I have 8GB of messages saved. Only started happening after iOS7. Apple needs to fix this.

Dec 28, 2013 12:36 AM in response to TouchOwner21

This is a very late response as i just looked into it, if any one sees it it will be great. Well the problem is that messages were still get archived and so the attachments you were sent through sms or imessage. Now that the jailbreak is out, i was scrolling around in my phone through ssh. I was also wondering why theres 2.2GB of saved messages when i had deleted all my messsages? So i found the path to the sms folder though ssh ( lucky guess lol ) And then i deleted the attachments that were archived from years back and old drafts that had no point because they were old. So here is the fix. First have a jailbroken iPhone. SSH into, if you dont know how, youtube it. Go to Private/Var/Mobile/Library/SMS . Here you can go inside the Attachments folder and delete everything inside. Do the same for the Drafts. LEAVE THE REST ALONE. Go to your settings and watch your regain your GB's. Hope it helps !

Saved Messages taking up space on ios7 iphone 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.