Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 7 but now its not tethering using USB connection. I am using MAC OS X Lion 10.7.5 and iTunes 11.1. Tethering using Wi-Fi is fine.

I updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 7 but not its not tethering using USB connection. I am using MAC OS X Lion 10.7.5 and iTunes 11.1. Tethering using Wi-Fi is fine. I tried toggling, reset network settings, and removed iPhone from System Preferences->Network. Stil the same. Help!

iPhone 5, iOS 7, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 7:56 PM

38 replies

Sep 20, 2013 12:52 AM in response to Don qube7

I am having that problem too. Another problem that I noticed is that personal hotspot thru wifi works but I often loose internet connection on my MacBook Pro even though I am still connected to my hotspot and I can load websites in my iPhone. I'm also using OS X Lion 10.7.5 and iTunes 11. I already did every troubleshooting procedures that I can find but nothing helps. I've been searching the internet about this issue since the other day without luck. Good to see your post, I am not alone. I hope Apple will be able to hear our concern. Apple please fix this. Thanks

Sep 22, 2013 9:35 AM in response to Don qube7

Hi, I'm form Italy. I updated yesterday both the iphone to 10s 7 and iTunes to 11.1 version, then I had the same problem of tethering...My MAc (using OS X Lion 10.7.5) doesn't tethers by usb; also the connection by wifi is unstable. I've red that the problem is caused by the last updating of iTunes...Please let me know if you find some solution to the problem...I hope Apple solve that too as sson as possible. "Ciao" to all of you

Sep 24, 2013 7:16 AM in response to Don qube7

Another similar one here. I've updated ios7 and usb tethering doesn't work. I use it at my office connecting to a XP machine. It connects, iphone asks me to 'trust' the computer (which I do) and the driver is installed. However the connection shows a status of 'LAN Cable disconnected'.

However the version of itunes on the machine is a versions back (I don't use itunes on that machine).

Because the usb tethering is a universal network driver connection then it should still work on any machine even if there is no itunes installed (i.e. as long as hotspot is enabled).

looking at other forums it appears this is very much ios7 related. Was working perfectly on ios6.

Sep 25, 2013 6:58 AM in response to Don qube7

same but different

before ios7 update on phone and iTunes update on iMac hotspot only worked with USB connection

both wifi and Bluetooth were super buggy, as USB worked I left it alone

after updating my 5 to ios7 the above still held true

after updating the iMac to new iTunes along with security and airport utility update the USB connection stopped working

but now the Bluetooth connection seems to work well enough, and wifi still fails

spent a few hours on phone with apple tech going through all the restart/reboot sequences with no results

this is like a good relationship slowly going bad as I'm about to start looking around

I'm talking to you apple..

(small screen, stale form, half baked at best ios7 graphic and color package, and now weird technical issues)

41 meg camera is looking pretty good to me right now..

I updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 7 but now its not tethering using USB connection. I am using MAC OS X Lion 10.7.5 and iTunes 11.1. Tethering using Wi-Fi is fine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.