Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice Memos App no longer displays timestamps

I rely on the timestamps in the voice memos app at the end of the day for filling out my timesheet. I upgraded to IOS 7, and while I'm not a big fan of the interface (I personally liked the big microphone), I noticed it no longer displays timestamps for each recording! Is there some secret way to get them to display? In the previous app, I just had to record the memo and stop it. The time and date appeared automatically. Please don't suggest I add the time to the recording name - if Apple could provide this info before, they certainly are capable of providing it in this new version. A new version should offer more capability, not less.

Grrrrrrr..................!

Am I missing some secret swipe or something?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 7:52 PM

5 replies

Dec 29, 2013 10:52 AM in response to bdunsing

The only work around I have found is to sync the IOS device to iTunes. Then, select the imported voice memo in the iTunes music library and choose the "Get Info" command. In the Summary section, towards the bottom of the window, the location of the file on your hard drive is displayed. There you will see the actually name of the audio file, as it appears in the finder, which still uses the old date & time convention (ie: 20131228 213330.m4a for December 28, 2013 at 9:33PM).

This is of course a lot of trouble to get info that should be available directly on the IOS device itself, but hopefully it helps those who can't wait around for Apple to correct the oversight.

Cheers!

Dec 29, 2013 2:31 PM in response to jaspora

No sarcasm here - but really - let's take away simple functionality from a simple app, then reward ourselves for finding a work-around? I agree with you jaspora - way too much effort to get information that should just be there. I've been using QuickVoice - a free app that that gives me this functionality back. I can quickly record a memo, then look at the timestamp as I'm replaying it.

Apr 7, 2014 9:52 AM in response to bdunsing

I rely so heavily on the time stamp in the title. Now everytime I download my voice memos to itunes I have to spend 10 minutes adding the Date to the title and it would take another 10 minutes to add the time. I don't see why Apple would take this feature away. It seems so vital to taking a voice memo. I might have to check out quick voice but it just seems so apparent that Apple should fix this.

Voice Memos App no longer displays timestamps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.