Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages won't let me open preferences

My Messages wont even open after clicking it. I have to right click and press New Message..

Upon doing that the window opens up. When I start to type a name or number, nothing would show up. I went to open up the preferences and it was greyed out. Please help. I dont know what else to do and this has been bugging for some time now.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 10:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 10:07 PM

User uploaded file

2 replies

Sep 20, 2013 12:30 PM in response to geenarenaye

HI,

Do you have Parental Controls turned On that is restricting access to Messages ?

Parental Controls is in System Preferences > Users and Groups the account you are logged in to your Mac with has to be a NON Admin one to allow Parental Controls to be Activated (it then gets listed as Managed).

Parental Controls can limit the access to certain Apps and block who you can communicate with in Messages and Mail.

Aside from this there can be occasions when the Accounts in Messages (or iChat) don not login but you have no access to the Preferences.

In this case use a Finder window > GO Menu > Go to Folder and Copy and Paste into the Dialogue box the following:-

~/Library/Preferences

Once in the Preferences find the com.apple.ichat.plist (Messages still uses this one)

Drag it to the Trash then Restart Messages.

User uploaded file
8:30 pm Friday; September 20, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Messages won't let me open preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.