Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why iLife and iWork aren't free in iOS 7 as promised?

In the apple event was said that apple apps ( iLife and iWork ) would be free for the ones who update their idevice to iOS 7. I have iPad 4 and I didn't get these apps though I should had. Please answer this problem.

Running iOS7 in the newest iPad .

iLife and iWork -OTHER, iOS 7, Installed in 19/9/2013

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 2:20 AM

19 replies

Sep 20, 2013 7:34 AM in response to Lior kest

Only devices that are purchased and activated on or after September 1, 2013 that are compatible with iOS 7 will receive the iWorks apps for free. If your device fits that criteria, try turning your device off and back on again. Make sure your device has been updated to iOS 7. Then go back to the App Store and search for Pages, Numbers, etc. They should show "free."

See the bottom of this page for details:

4. iPhoto, iMovie, Keynote, Pages, and Numbers are free on the App Store for qualifying iOS 7 compatible devices activated after September 1, 2013. See www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/for iOS 7 compatible devices. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.

I hope this answers your question.

~Joe

Jan 3, 2014 11:23 AM in response to Lior kest

Another observation which may be useful: The free iWorks and iLife apps can be installed on any iOS device associated with your account -- but only after you first download them on the newly activated device. I noticed this after purchasing and activating an iPad Mini yesterday; the apps showed as free on the iPad, but they still showed up at their list prices on my iPhone... until immediately after I started the download on the iPad. At that point, I closed and reopened the App Store on the iPhone, and the prices abruptly disappeared and were replaced by the cloud-download icon.

Mar 17, 2014 7:22 PM in response to Zarmanto

thanks very much for the tip or observation lol it helped and it worked.

I got the iWorks for FREE with an iPhone 5 that was purchased previously. So the iWorks suite is still availble for FREE to those who have purchased an Apple Device previously before the "new activations made after Sept 1" .

Aslong as you have downloaded those FREE apps on another new device purchased after Sept 1st then you will be able to RE-DOWNLOAD them on previous devices (running on iOS 7) using the same iCloud account.

hope that helps 🙂

Mar 29, 2014 3:55 PM in response to Lior kest

Well I just got an origional version ipad mini, activated in Feb or March of this year, and I already had iphoto,imovie,and ipages. But Keynote and Numbers show as costing 9.99 each and I don't have the money to

try downloading them to see if they are free then come to find out they are not. How can I find out for sure, should I call support as mentioned on a previous post? I have been searching online for a link to all qualifiying devices, and according to what was written here, I should be getting them for free,..unless I am missing something?

Mar 29, 2014 4:29 PM in response to iqueenmarylady

Okay I just called support and here is what worked for me. I didn't realize it, but you have to try purchasing the Keynote and Numbers apps FROM THE DEVICE. Ahhhhh! I had been trying to purchase the apps from the app store, and that is where it told me the prices as $9.99. So try searching for them on your actual device and see what price appears? Hope this helps others!

May 27, 2014 2:20 PM in response to Zarmanto

I read your post thouroughly but I still cant get the Apple apps free.

I have:

-purchased my iPad mini (no retina display, current model) after September 1st, 2013.

-registered and activated the my device on the Apple ID thing the SAME day I purchased it, 5/27/14

-opened the App store on the device to see the prices, which were not listed as free.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Could it be that the iPad is not Retina display and that's why I cant get the free apps?

Thanks for your help.

Why iLife and iWork aren't free in iOS 7 as promised?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.