Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7: wallpaper scaling workaround

I have come up with the following workaround for the scaling issue of your personal wallpapers.

You need photo processing software on your computer for this.

That software should be able to crop and resize your photos, but above all be able to put a frame around your photos.

If you do not have software like this, download IrfanView or something similar.

I am not sure whether IrfanView exists for the Mac.

I have tried this on my iPad 2 in landscapeorientation.

The iPad 2 has a screen resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels. For other resolutions, change the numbers accordingly in my instructions.

I have used IrfanView for this:

1) open your favorite photo in IrfanView

2) resize (Ctrl+R) the photo to 1024 x 768, if possible without preserving aspect ratio

3) if you want to preserve aspect ratio, you will need to crop the photo to your personal liking

4) add a plain black frame of 250 pixels around the photo (Ctrl+D)

5) save this new photo on your computer in the folder that syncs with your iPad

6) sync with your iPad in iTunes

7) on your iPad in settings > Wallpapers & Brightness choose the new photo

8) move the photo to the correct position

9) tap the "Set ..." option of your choice

Until Apple publish a better method to scale the wallpaper, this workaround should work for many of us.

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 2:58 AM

10 replies

Oct 2, 2013 12:24 AM in response to Apfelwurm

Had the same scaling problem on my iPad 2 with IOS 7.

Reported the issue to Apple by phone - it seemed new for the customer care agents....

Found a solution:

Each photo to be used as homescreen or lock screen has to be resized into square format of 1424 x 1424 pixel (double on retina displays)

Resizing can - for example - be done with the free online tool pixlr.com

After resizing the photo will fit as a wallpaper even if parallax is turned on.

It' so ridiculous that each photo for use as wallpaper has to be resized manually now!

Resizing wallpapers has been done automatically on each windows XP - PC for the last 15 years.

At least for the moment I found a solution,

Regards,

Fritz

iOS 7: wallpaper scaling workaround

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.