Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't access www.apple.com?

Hello Apple Support Communities!

So, I've been having trouble accessing the Apple website - not all of it, just 'www.apple.com' - for the last few days, which is really starting to irritate me! I have no trouble accessing any other websites.

I've got a MacBook Pro and I'm using Safari. I downloaded Firefox just to see if another browser would change anything. It didn't. However, instead of just loading, loading, loading, but doing nothing, like Safari did, Firefox comes up with a message that says that Firefox can't find the server at www.apple.com.

I don't think it's my WiFi connection, because my dad's Dell Desktop has no problem accessing it. I've tried restarting, clearing my cache, everything I could think of, but nothing changes. As far as I know, no other websites aren't reachable by me.

Please help, as this is really getting frustrating!

Oh, and I asked this question on Yahoo Answers: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AvnfHYlDPAD.8txFFhprlluzFQx.;_ylv=3 ?qid=20130920003310AAjGEqM. I tried both answers and neither worked.

Thank you to anyone who can help me!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 3:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 3:58 AM

Does the page load if you go here:

http://17.172.224.47

18 replies

Sep 20, 2013 4:29 AM in response to Jessica Dooper

Have you ever done anything to change the DNS servers or edited your hosts file?

Take a look at what your DNS servers are set to in Network System Preferences.

Open Network System Preferences

Select the network Service you are using to connect to the Internet (Ethernet or WiFi).

Click the Advanced... button

Click the DNS tab.

What is listed there and is it gray or black?

Sep 20, 2013 4:51 AM in response to Jessica Dooper

Ok, go back to the DNS tab of Network System Preferences.

Add these two servers by clicking the + button at the bottom

Those are OpenDNS's servers. If you can access Apple after entering those and Applying the changes to Network, then your ISP's DNS is not responding correctly.

EDIT: It is definitely an iiNet problem. I added there DNS from here: https://iihelp.iinet.net.au/General_settings, and I couldn't connect to Apple.

Sep 20, 2013 4:56 AM in response to Jessica Dooper

See my edit to the previous post.

After adding those two servers I can access Apple. Is this a permanent fix?

Not necessarily. Due to the way Apple (and others) provide streaming content, it is sometimes best to use your ISP's DNS over the "free" services. They look for nearby servers to determine the best way to provide the streaming content. If you use a DNS that is not nearby to you, you might not get connected to the streaming data, or it will be slow.

You can use them until iiNet fixes their problems. You might want to contact them about it.

To remove the OpenDNS servers, just select them in the list and click the - button.

I can't access www.apple.com?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.