Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change colour scheme on iphone S4?

I just ran the update on my phone. The green colour scheme for icons etc is vile, just looking at it makes me queasy, the keypad impossible to see in bright light - a catastrophe! How do I change it back to what it was or at least to something that is usuable? It seems a lot of people have the problem, so I'm hoping that there will be an answer somewhere. I cannot really use the phone as is because its too hard too read texts, too hard to see names. All help appreciated.

iPhone 4S

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 4:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 10:24 AM

1. There is no "green color scheme for icons." Get your eyes examined. There are numerous background wallpapers with various color schemes (as well as your custom photos), that can be changed in settings.

2. You can improve text readability by changing text size and characteristics:

Settings > General > Accessibility > Larger Type, Bold Text, Increase contrast

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2013 10:24 AM in response to ravenowl

1. There is no "green color scheme for icons." Get your eyes examined. There are numerous background wallpapers with various color schemes (as well as your custom photos), that can be changed in settings.

2. You can improve text readability by changing text size and characteristics:

Settings > General > Accessibility > Larger Type, Bold Text, Increase contrast

Sep 23, 2013 1:26 AM in response to modular747

Dear modular 747, not sure why you feel the need to be insulting, when your advise to change the size of the font helps somewhat. I still have no way of being able to read the minature times on the calender, it seems that didn't increase with the bigger font. Neither does it help me to be able to read the miniture and very pale grey writing when I call up an event and try to see what time it is set for. That font hasn't increased either. Tried making the screen brighter but that doesn't help. Suggestions minus insults would be helpful.

Noted that you indicated that the folder icons and dock are translucent? Followed your instructions about the setting (also set up zoom which will help with readability). But cannot see anything go translucent. What did I miss?

By the way, looking at my phone right now, the icons for message, phone and face time are neon green. So is the background for texting when it shows my sent text. If yours looks different, would love to know how to change it!

Sep 23, 2013 5:59 AM in response to ravenowl

So, when you said: "The green colour scheme for icons etc is vile, just looking at it makes me queasy", you considered the 3 green icons out of 26 iOS icons to constitute the icon color scheme??

When you said "green color scheme for icons" it implied that you saw all icons as containing green. Hence, the ophthalmologic recommendation. That said, I agree with you about the psychedelic quality of the green and red icons - poor choice on Apple's part, but hardly nauseating.

Did you try the Bold Text and Increase Contrast settings I mentioned?

The folder icons and dock are translucent in that they take on the coloring of the background. Changing the wallpaper will change their cast. If you use one of the "dynamic" wallpapers, the folders and dock change hue as the background changes.

Sep 29, 2013 4:53 AM in response to modular747

Thanks for the suggestions modular747. Bolding text makes a difference and I'm relieved that I can actually read some of the texts again. I have been experimenting as well with wallpapers but all my icons look exactly the same when the backgrounds change, so I must be doing something wrong. Any helpful hints? - like the one that mentioned accessibility, I never would have found that on my own. So far I have increased contrast and bolded text.

And yes, for me the green is just aweful and I have put the icons into folders so that I don't have to look at them - more work when I have to use them but inevitable if I want to avoid the colour. Unfortunately, certain light/colour frequencies play havoc with my sense of balance, hence also an aversion to fluorecent lights with their constant flicker (they do induce headaches and nausea). It is just unfortunate that Apple had to pick this particual green.... slightly less neon wouldn't have been a problem.

Sep 29, 2013 10:33 AM in response to ravenowl

I have been experimenting as well with wallpapers but all my icons look exactly the same when the backgrounds change, so I must be doing something wrong

You're not doing anything wrong. The app icons are not affected by the the background. Only folder icons and the icon dock (at the bottom) are translucent and show the color behind them.

Unfortunately, certain light/colour frequencies play havoc with my sense of balance, hence also an aversion to fluorecent lights with their constant flicker (they do induce headaches and nausea). It is just unfortunate that Apple had to pick this particual green.... slightly less neon wouldn't have been a problem.

Tell Apple:

Apple - iPhone - Feedback

How do I change colour scheme on iphone S4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.