Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The iOS 7 download keeps timing out on iTunes

I would like to update my iPhone to iOS 7 so I have attempted to do so for 3 hours now, and at about halfway through the 1+ GB download it times out... which returns my downloaded data to zero, so I have to start over. Since iTunes won't resume the download, and starts over from scratch every time, I've downloaded the equivalent of 3 to 4 GB by now... but with nothing to show for it.

Since iTunes can't seem to maintain a stable connection or resume a download, I would like to download the package manually or something of that nature... but of course I see no option for that.

I don't understand what the issue is, Yes sometimes my connection goes up and down in speed because I share it, but I can download anything without much issue in other circumstances.

iPhone 4S with iOS 6.1.3

iMac with OS X 10.8.5

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 4:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 7:33 PM

Tried yet again, for the 8th time and I made it to 700+ MB before I got the following error (which I include below since I didn't in my original post)

stopped (err = -3259)

Show me where I can download the update via a regular browser, then I will gladly hand it off to iTunes to do the installing and verifying. It's just not handling the downloading part very well at all.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2013 7:33 PM in response to Starry001

Tried yet again, for the 8th time and I made it to 700+ MB before I got the following error (which I include below since I didn't in my original post)

stopped (err = -3259)

Show me where I can download the update via a regular browser, then I will gladly hand it off to iTunes to do the installing and verifying. It's just not handling the downloading part very well at all.

Sep 22, 2013 12:45 AM in response to mdeepanshu

mdeepanshu wrote:

... it says that CONNECTION TIMED OUT ...

Check your security software: Note: Most restore issues are caused by out-of-date or incorrectly configured security software, firewalls, and network router settings or firmware.

• Isolate the issue to third-party software.
  • Update security software.
  • Properly configure your security software.
  • Temporarily disable or uninstall your security software.

From the link I posted above.

Sep 25, 2013 12:13 AM in response to AnaMusic

I had to try 6 more times but I finally got the entire data package.

As I said earlier, I did all the things in the article before I even knew of it. The download would randomly time out, and since iTunes doesn't keep the data and resume I wasted something like 6 GB of data downloaded, over 14 failed attempts. Everyone in Canada has data caps via their ISP's (unless they pay absurd amounts of money on their data) so data wasted means money flushed down the toilet.

I have been a Mac user since the late 80's, and I am very pleased with my iPhone but this nonsense is absurd. Apple either has to give iTunes the ability to resume a data package upon time-out, or allow me to download the package via a browser that can do the same thing.

I have no clue why the time-outs happened, all I know is that they did.

Mar 1, 2014 1:56 PM in response to Starry001

I too had this issue recently, however, I read the instructions outlined here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1808 and my iPad restored like a charm. I was plugging my turned on iPad into my computer and it failed the download everytime.

The key is to:

1. Power off your iPad

2. Plug USB chord into your computer BEFORE turning on iPad

3. Plug in USB to your iPad (still turned off) while holding down the Home Button

4. Let go of the Home when you see the 'Connect to iTunes' message.

The iOS 7 download keeps timing out on iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.