Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[Hardware] MBP 13" Mid2010: Wireless card turning off when computer is moved

Hello everyone !

I have been incrementally fixing my mid-2010 (1278) 13" Macbook Pro for the past 8-9 months. I'm almost done, but sadly I can't figure out what's causing the last issue, which concerns the wireless, and I would *really* appreciate your expertise!

Background: My MBP sustained heavy damage last December. The casing was carved in and the hardware was so busted it could not power on. Apple replaced the logic board, bottom and top cases. I also replaced the hard drive and reinstalled the OS as new. I then cleared all but one of the remaining problems including a faulty left palm rest temperature sensor (fault caused by loose battery electric tape contacting with the sensor).

Symptoms: It first starts with an immediate loss of the wireless internet and network connections: all websites are unresolved. A few seconds later the list of available wifi networks in Network preferences is being reduced to the one I was last connected to while still searching for new networks. Apps requiring internet connectivity start to report, well, the lack of connectivity. A few seconds later the MBP wireless is still displayed as connected to the last known network, except that it really is not connected to anything as per pings. At this stage, going into Network Preferences show the Wifi as "Off". Pressing "Turn Wifi-On" does not do anything, turning on en1 with the terminal does not do anything either. At some point the wifi icon is updated and shows the wifi as being "Off" too.

Temporary and only fix: Restart the computer.

How to reproduce: When the laptop is lifted or moved, such as when you relocate from the desk to a couch. Having the computer on my lap triggers the issue too.

What I did so far: I assumed there could be a problem directly with my airport card, so I replaced it. The wireless was working fine up until I reproduced the steps above, triggering the same issue.

It is definitely a hardware problem, but what could be causing it now that the airport card is replaced?

Thank you very much for your help !

Regards,

Kahss

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 13" Mid 2010

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 4:41 AM

There are no replies.

[Hardware] MBP 13" Mid2010: Wireless card turning off when computer is moved

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.