Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro x - Distortion crackling when recording guitar

When i have plugged my guitar in, and choose a distortion amp in the library, there is always a horrible high pitched crackling/buzzing, and its all i can hear really, any suggestions?

Logic Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 5:21 AM

19 replies

Sep 20, 2013 10:00 AM in response to Sholderness

Sounds like an input is up too high, or something is up with your amp settings causing it to overdrive too much and feedback, maybe?!

Don't suppose you can get an audio file uploaded to listen to it? Or failing that take a screenshot of your recorded guitar waveform?

When you record, do the recorded waveforms look like they're maxing out (Clipping)?

Sep 20, 2013 11:03 AM in response to Sholderness

What type of audio interface?

What type of guitar, single coil or humbucking pickups?

When you have a high gain amp working, the preamp volume needed to produce the gain requires that -everything- in the signal path to be noise free. The higher the distortion level the more this is true.

The noise sounds like one of the below or a combination.

Too much treble, bad guitar wiring and/or inexpensive pickups, bad/cheap guitar cable, interface noise, USB noise, amplified computer background noise.

Is the noise less if the computer is running on battery power?

Sep 20, 2013 3:33 PM in response to Sholderness

Ah mate, listening to it that sounds like really poor interference that is being amplified by the amp simulators.

Have you a link to the cable you bought (Amazon/eBay etc.) to get an idea on what you're actually using?

Have you the budget to get a better audio interface? Need to get it sorted as it sounds like you can play well and don't want to hold youself back using crap like that! ... no offence!

For reference, When you hold the strings your body is being used as ground and that's why it stops some of the buzzing, the gate plugin will then push that into silence. This is a problem that most people have when first recording guitar. I got so annoyed with mine i pulled the guitar apart and re-lined it with shielding tape, and re-wired the pickups, it's incredibly silent now.

If you've got single coil pickups then hum is very hard to get away from - Never owned a single coil guitar though!

What kind of mac are you using? Don't suppose you have one that already has a line-in source?

Sep 21, 2013 5:12 AM in response to Sholderness

Oh that cable looks cheap! Yeah, if you can return it that's a bonus if you get money back.

What kind of money did you want to spend on a new interface? If you want half decent quality then you'd be looking at £100 price range min, but there are cheaper options available. But i would rather go secondhand on a better interface, than new on a cheaper one.

Post back with a rough budget and i'm sure someone can help your decision.

If you want the cheapest option out there which will give you an acceptable sound and a bit of flexibility then i would go for this:

io2-express.htm

They're a great company for audio/dj products and the B Stock is as new and you save yourself a few quid in the process (Get full warranty too). And super fast delivery.

Logic Pro x - Distortion crackling when recording guitar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.