Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport express connection - lost connectivity to iPad with iOS6 a while ago now lost connectivity to Mac with iTunes 11.1?

Many months ago I upgraded to iOS6 and as a result lost connectivity to my old airport express and tried to resest and reconfig. I gave up on fixing that and was content with the fact that my Mac still had connectivity. Now with the upgrade to iTunes 11.1 my Mac has lost connectivity. Am I dealing with an oboslete airport express, or might this be a configuration issue?

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 5:30 AM

7 replies

Sep 20, 2013 5:36 AM in response to Rick5.1

No idea if our issues are related, but today I've also lost connectivity to an Airport Express (it's perhaps 3-4 years old?).

Sequence of events:

• No problems noticed until today.
  • Yesterday: upgraded iTunes to 11.1, and my iPhone and iPad to iOS7. I don't remember if I used Airplay yesterday or not.
  • This morning: wife couldn't use Airport Express / Airplay with her iPhone, which is still on iOS6.
  • I opened the Airport Utility - and hey, there's a firmware update! (From two months ago?!). Did that - and airplay started to work.
  • But now, this afternoon, nothing works with the Airport Express / Airplay: not iTunes 11.1, not an iOS7 iPhone, not an iOS7 iPad, not an iOS6 iPhone. With iTunes, I get a message that it times out; with the iOS devices, nothing really happens - the device behaves as if it's working, but no sound is coming out.

Note the Airport Express still has a green light, and is rated as in Excellent condition by Airport Utility.

Sep 20, 2013 7:45 AM in response to Lost in Asia

I now have this exact same problem...

My mac to my airport express was working fine up until I performed the update to iTunes 11.1. Now when I select the airplay speakers from the drop down menu I get this error:

User uploaded file

The airplay device 'X' cannot be found on your network. Please verify your network settings and Airplay configuration or select another device. (Typed out for people who are looking on for this issue on search engines).

Though my newly updated iPhone on iOS 7 can use the airplay fine without any issues.

So since the new update my phone can use the speakers but my Macbook Pro can't? Help!

Sep 20, 2013 7:10 PM in response to Rick5.1

Interesting mix of problems: what confuses me is what's actually broken. If iTunes 11.1 broke AirPlay, why has my wife's iOS 6 iPhone also stopped working? Others have no problems with their iPhones, yet in our household, AirPlay simply doesn't work at all, no matter what device. I suppose there's an off chance our Airport Express has just decided coincidentally died at the same time as all these updates happened, but I believe the last time that happened the green light also disappeared. My computer's utilities think the Airport Express is working just fine - but it times out when trying to use AirPlay.

Sep 22, 2013 3:36 AM in response to Lost in Asia

It's iTunes 11.1 that's not talking nicely with the airport express.

I can connect my macbook (running iTunes 11.05) to my iTunes library on the PC (running 11.1) via home sharing, then send the audio from the macbook to the airport express via airplay.

I can also send the audio from my iPhone's music player on the handset (iOS7) to the airport express via airplay.

The only thing that doesn't work is sending audio from iTunes 11.1 to the airport express via airplay. This includes using the 'Remote' app on the iPhone (it works as if it's sending audio, although no audio plays on the airport express).

Airport express connection - lost connectivity to iPad with iOS6 a while ago now lost connectivity to Mac with iTunes 11.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.