Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 7 rejects my genuine Apple lightning cable as not certified

I installed IOS 7 on my iPhone 5 and now iTunes rejects my genuine Apple lightning cable as not certified.

Is there a way to fix this without having to go to an Apple store (which is a 2 hour drive for me)?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 8 GB memory and a 2.66 GHz Itel i7

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 5:48 AM

28 replies

Sep 20, 2013 7:56 AM in response to needleman_mark

Thanks for the suggestions.

iTunes does not reject the cable, but my Mac shuts down the USB port for drawing too much power.

I have tried plugging in the phone both when the phone is off and on. I have reset the phone. I have rebooted my Mac several times. Reset the PRAM. Reset the SMC. I have tried blowing out the port on the phone and reinserting the cable (several times).

It is something wrong with the Lighting cable because my old 30-pin cable with an 30-pin-to-lightning adapter works fine.

Sep 22, 2013 6:38 AM in response to Nealf

Turned out my problem wasn’t the Apple cable at all. An aftermarket cable snuck into my house and got swtiched while traveling without my knowing it. Everything is now working fine now with the Apple cable again.

I took a Sharpie and marked the copycat cable so that never happens again.

Thanks everyone!

Sep 29, 2013 10:48 AM in response to Nealf

I have an aftermarket USB cable and charger. Being meticulous, I _marked_ my original set and my aftermarket set the day the aftermarket set arrived. (I'm a bit of a fanatic about this sort of thing.)
Plugged into the aftermarket set in my office. Got the warning, clicked OK, and everything worked.
THEN ... that evening, plugged into the original APPLE set beside my bed. Same warning message! Clicked OK and everything worked there, too.

IOS 7 rejects my genuine Apple lightning cable as not certified

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.