Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to reinstall OS X Mountain Lion but there is no disk?!

I haven't had my laptop very long at all, I got it at the beginning of summer. But for some reason today when I started it up, it just had this flashing file with a question mark on it.

So I used my phone and google and tried to figure out how to fix it, and I figured out getting to the 'Internet Recovery' thing and I even got all the way into 'Reinstaling OS X Mountain Lion' when I got to the screen where it asks me to select a disk. There's no disk.

Does it mean a physical disk? Do I need to find a blank computer disk? I thought my computer had a internal one.

I went and looked at the 'Repair Disk' one because then I thought it was bad, but I verified the disk that's on my computer and it apparently isn't able to be fixed. It's just fine, according to that. But then why can't I reinstal the OS X!?

I'm writing this from the 'Safari Help' option on the Recovery menu, but I need my laptop and want to get it fixxed as soon as possible.

I'm REALLY confused and REALLY clueless and would appreciate ANY help with this...

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 7:38 AM

12 replies

Aug 13, 2014 12:10 AM in response to thisisreallyannoying

Hi, original poster here. I did not realize this would generate more discussion so I never checked back. I still had my warranty, so I took it to the store and got it repaired. The original problem I had was a screen with this icon flashing when I attempted to boot it up:

User uploaded file

When I took it to the store, they told me that my computer was unable to communicate with the hard drive. I had this same problem three times in two months where this screen reappeared. Each time I went back to the store and they said the cause was different, but they were all hardware issues that physically made it impossible to communicate with the hard drive. After the third time, they simply replaced my laptop and I haven't had the same problem.

So in short: The reason you can't reinstall or move anything when you encounter this screen appears to be because nothing can communicate with the hard drive in the first place. You can't reach the disk or anything on it. So I don't believe it's possible to do anything besides take it to a physical store and have it fixed.

Sep 20, 2013 7:47 AM in response to thisisreallyannoying

Select a disk should show your hard drive. But before you do that, boot into Startup Manager, holding the option key and see if your hard disk shows up. If it does boot normally. Then in System Preferences go to Startup Disk and reselct your hard drive.

EDIT: If your hard drive can't be repaired, you need a new hard drive and won't be able to install anything.

Sep 20, 2013 8:01 AM in response to thisisreallyannoying

You won't be able to select drive if there is a software corruption or if there is a hardware issue. Boot again to Internet Recovery (after powering computer press and hold ALT+CMD+R) and before attempting to reinstall OS X open Disk Utility and check if HDD is listed on the side bar on the left. IF HDD is not listed, then you have HDD failure and devie need to be serviced: HDD need to be replaced.

IF HDD is listed, then select physicall drive (not Macintosh HD volume) - it is first entry on the side bar - then on the first aid tab check fist S.M.A.R.T status (at the bottom, collum on the right hand side) - if it's verified, then problably issue is with software. Click then on Verify Disk and Repair Disk if necessary. If smart satus reports failure then HDD has a hardware failure. If Repair disk failed, then select ERASE tab and reformat drive then quit Disk Utility and reinstall OS X - data will be lost.

If Repair Disk went ok and was successfully repaird, then select Macitosh HD and do the same for your volume: Verify Disk and Repair Disk and if no errors, Repair Disk Permissions. You might be lucky and your system might startup again. If Repair Disk reportes errors or OS X is still not starting up, then select once again your physicall Drive and select Erase Tab, erase drive, then quit Disk Utility and reinstall OS X: data will be lost.

Jul 28, 2014 3:48 AM in response to iW00

User uploaded file

Hi I have the same problem than erka below and have tried absolutely everything without success. Even tried to use a USB memory stick.

First, My HD appears as" verified" but the rest of options are greyed out (permissions and repair). This means that I can not do anything else. If I go to the install OS X option (trying to re-install all from scratch) there is no disk available for selection. The only thing I can see in the disk utility menu is my disk0 and base system this somehow says 1.19 GB( I recall my MACBook Pro had more memory than that but that is all I can see). I have tomorrow to deliver an assignment and aside from losing the document :-( and redoing all my work the saddest part is not having any laptop to work all over again. Please any any help would be really appreciated. Again, I have no choice to make partitions or do anything with my disk as the permissions are greyed out I can not changed that is unavailable. I saw also a post re how to code some commands to gain access or change permissions but most readers then responded they lost complete access to the hard drive after that. please kindly advice/

Aug 8, 2014 6:05 PM in response to Marianellag

Hi there! I am experiencing the exact same problem- the only thing is I'm currently overseas and will be for the next month with no reliable wifi access and have had to use very expensive data so far to figure out what is wrong with my laptop. I am currently downloading a new OS X mountain lion onto an external hard drive as no disk appears for me to install my new OS X on. Does this mean my hard drive is dead and there is no way of salvaging it save for bringing it into a physical shop (which I won't be able to do until a month later) or should I go ahead and save the new OS X onto my external hard drive (incidentally also my time machine capsule- which however is not the most updated version of my files hence the unviability of booting from here)? I'm asking this as the downloading is stipulated to take ~9h which will be very, very costly- I don't mind if it actually fixes my macbook, but if not I would rather cancel it now and not waste the data on saving it to my hard drive if my internal hard disk is beyond (DIY) repair.

I would really, really appreciate a response on this- am truly at my wit's end!! Did anyone else suffer from this problem and/or have any ideas/ advice, any at all as to what the best course of action is from here?

Many thanks in advance you kind internet whizz souls!

Aug 20, 2014 11:20 PM in response to Z.W.R

Hello I've seen your post, I'm also facing same problem with my Mac Book pro. I can't find Hard Drive when I'm trying to reinstall OS X from Internet. When I go to Disk Utility I can see only 70MB space available which is not actually the Hard Drive where OS X can be installed. What could be the problem? I understand you too had the same problem, can you please let me know how can I find a solution for this. Is it a hardware problem or a software problem? Do I need to replace the Hard Drive? Do I need to go to Apple store for repair work or will I be able to resolve it? If I need to replace Hard Drive how much would it cost?? Sorry for many questions but I'm afraid how can I get my Mac Book to working condition!! Will be waiting for your response, Thank You.

Aug 21, 2014 7:47 PM in response to Marianellag

I've also the same kin of problem. I used my mac about 14 months. Then suddenly my hard disk can not bootup my system. I thought may be my hard drive is damaged. Then I'm buying a new hard disk and replace the old one. Then I try to install osx from internet but suddenly my wifi router restart while installing the osx. Then I can not continue to install. It takes me more than 4 hours. I live in bangladesh and my internet connection is very slow. about 256 KB/sec.

So I was trying to install mavricks from a bootable pendrive. But while installing when it's near to the fisnishing line and say's about one second remaining it still showing about 1 hour. Then I restart my mac. Then try again to install it from the internet but unfortunately I can't found any hard disk to select to re-install the osx mountain lion. In bangladesh there is no authorized apple store. And I don't have any idea how to deal with that issue.

Can anyone help me??????

Thanks.

Trying to reinstall OS X Mountain Lion but there is no disk?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.