Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi drops, not internet but signal is still 5/5

Howdy,

My computer is working on Mac OS X, 10.7.5. It is a 2.7GHz Intel Core i5 from May 2011.

Since last week, I have been experiencing strange things with my Wifi.

The configuration in my home is: the internet box/router is on stage below, my iMac being upstairs. Unfortunately, it can't be changed :/

The problem is the following: from time to time, sometimes fifteen minutes sometimes one hour apart, suddenly internet drops. If I am watching a video it stops, if I am voice chatting I can continue to hear my friends but can't talk, if I am surfing on the web it displays simply "you are not connected to the internet".

However, my wifi signal stays at 5 on 5.

Except from that, internet is really fast and comfortable.

My solution is to desactivate my wifi and then re-activate it. Sometimes I have to select my home wifi network manually, but most of the time it catches it automatically.

It does the trick, but sometimes I have to "double the operation" to be back on internet.

I am the only Mac user at home, my roomates have PCs and they do not experience the same drops, I am the only one. One of my roomate plays a lot online and I would know the second there is a drop (screams!).

It is not a big handicap for most of my applications (I work at home), but for the hobbies on the computer it's killing me (I live abroad, so voice/video/normal chatting, I do play a little and enjoy watching videos when there is no freeze at the paroxysm!).

I have followed most of the basic stepsgiven in other threads, like reset box, deleting Keychain Access... and it did not prove efficient.

Just now I have tried to manually set my IP in Network > Wifi > TCP/IP. It's been good for 30 minutes now, but I have already experienced respites for a day or two and then... back in the activate/desactive routine. Plus, I don't believe in magic and my "pro network trick" of simply clicking manually and entered a randoom number at the end of my IP... it does not convince me 😝

Thank you in advance for any advice, help, for your time and for having read my message,

Regards,

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 8:54 AM

5 replies

Nov 1, 2013 8:30 PM in response to John Galt

Howdy,

almost a month after, magic still has up and downs. Great periods of ups when nothing get wrong for more than two days, great periods of downs when every 15 minutes, the connection drops.

I have not much thing to add since the last time, thing have not changed regarding what happens nor regarding what I attempt to do.

I would be glad if anyone have any inspiration as for the direction to look into to find a solution, or any general tips.

Have a nice day,

Wifi drops, not internet but signal is still 5/5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.