Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirDrop Between iPad and MAC

I have AirDrop working great between my 2 MAC's now that I have them in close proximity - thanks to some great help here.

According to posts that I've read here, AirDrop should work fine between a MAC and an iPad 4 running IOS 7. I must be doing something wrong.

On my MAC, I open Finder and click on AirDrop in the left menu. This opens the normal window on the right that shows an icon for the MAC and the icon to the left of The menu AirDrop is revolving. I guess this indicates that the MAC is searching for another AirDrop device.

On my iPad, I open a photo. In the bottom left corner, I tap on the Share icon. The normal Share icons come up along with one for AirDrop.

Neither the MAC nor the iPad can be recognized by the other device.

Is there something else I need to set on or off on my iPad to get this to work?

Thanks a lot.

Adrian

iPad

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 10:43 AM

Where did you read??? At this point, no AirDrop support between iOS and OSX

24 replies

Sep 20, 2013 11:19 AM in response to bobbyco57

I read it here on the Apple Support site. If you enter the subject line I used, you will get a short list of discussions about this subject. One of them, dated Sept. 2013, addresses this subject specifically. It says that AirDrop will work between a MAC and an iPad 4 running IOS 7. There were no posts refuting this statement.

Is it Apple's position that it will not work?

I cannot imagine why they would not want it to work. It would sure give Apple a leg up against the Andriod system.

Thanks

Adrian

Dec 8, 2013 9:03 AM in response to Mahler12x

airdrop is new to ios. And for now, as near as i can figure it is ios to ios. but you really dont have an issue. There are any number of free or low cost apps that have done the same thing that have been available for a long time. all apple is trying to do is bake the functionality of those apps into the operating system. If you want to move pictures across any ios, mac, and most andriod devices, look at app called photosync or transfer.

There are some other apps that clai, to share other types of files, but I have not had much luck with them.

I would bet the functionality will progress within the apple operating systems over time. for now, simply use an app.

Dec 9, 2013 2:41 AM in response to Adrian70437

Hi there

I think it is a huge disatvantage that apple does not manage to make Airdrop work between Mac and iOs - and even more so since it is called the same. If this is really not supposed to work cross-platform, then it should at least be called clearly different!!!

Apple is doing many things right in terms of design but this is in my opinion a really bad mistake.

Subsequent passage is a bit of philosophy:

This to me is like using the word "Serial Connector" instead of Firewire or USB and use the exact same word for both - imagine you go out and buy two devices that are equipped with "Serial Connectors" and as you try to hook them up, you find out that they use completely different cables because one is in fact USB and the other one is Firewire!!! You would run to the store and hardly complain to the guy that sold this devices to you!

As a quick fix (not a free one though) you can use an app called instashare. It does what AirDrop should do and is able to work also on older devices like iPhone 4 (which AirDrop is not..). Seems to work really great between OS X and iOS - at least during my short tests...

Cheeers

Sepoe

AirDrop Between iPad and MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.