Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening "preview" iBook crashes Books app on iOS 7

Hi,

I very recently upgraded my iPad to iOS 7. I authored an iBook and previewed the iBook to my iOS 7 iPad. Opening the iBook crashes the Books app.

Help!

Ted

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 10:29 AM

5 replies

Sep 20, 2013 11:20 PM in response to Ted Fitzpatrick

Try a Restart.

Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red "slide to power off" slider appears, and then slide the slider. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.

Resetting your settings

You can also try resetting all settings. Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings. You will have to enter all of your device settings again.... All of the settings in the settings app will have to be re-entered. You won't lose any data, but it takes time to enter all of the settings again.

Resetting your device

Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button together for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends this only if you are unable to restart it.

Or if this doesn't work and nobody else on the blog doesn't have a better idea you can contact Apple.

Here is a link to their contacts with most of the information below.

http://www.apple.com/contact/

Sep 21, 2013 3:52 AM in response to Gus2259

I relaunched the Books app, same behavior. I restarted the iPad, and I also exported the iBook from IBA (v. previewing to a hardwired iPad) and used DropBox to transfer the iBook into the Books app.

Opening my iBook still crashes the Books app.

I did contact Apple, however I'll also start a process of elimination to find the root cause of the issue. I'll report my findings back here ASAP.

Ted

Sep 22, 2013 2:25 AM in response to Ted Fitzpatrick

Hi Ted,

I had exactly the same issue than you since ios7 update and try the same strategy than you. I finally found a solution by updating the ibooks apps via appstore. In fact, apps update didn't appear anymore (seems to have a bug somewhere) but when I searched for the ibooks app in appstore and then click on "open", it updated the app ( and not open it). And, ibooks app doesn't crash anymore with the exported ibook (I don't try with the preview function yet)

Hope it can help

Julie

Sep 23, 2013 8:32 AM in response to Mretuck

Hi Julie and Eric,

Thanks for your recommendations. I started with Eric's solution of deleting the Books app from my iPad, then reinstalling it. My iBook opened fine after this. Next, I'll try a preview from iBooks Author.

I'm pretty sure that I saw a "this will delete this app's local data" confirmation when I deleted the Books app from the iPad. When I reinstalled the app on the iPad, my books were still there ... even my own self-published iBook that I side-loaded using DropBox.

I'll post back if else goes awry ... thanks again.

Ted

Opening "preview" iBook crashes Books app on iOS 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.