Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I permanently disable the "fn" key?

Hi. My subject says it all. How can I permanently disable the "fn" key?

At first I thought I had a virus or something because when I typed only weird symbols came out. Then I reset the computer. Then I couldn't even log in. I tried Time Machine etc.

Then I realized that the "fn" key wasn't working right. It seems to be working backwards. It acts like it's being pushed when it's not, and when I do push it it acts like it's not being used.

So it's kind of a simple problem but it's really annoying.

Is there a way I can just disable it permanently? Even physical force if necessary. I tried to break it but it wouldn't break. I don't really use the key anyway so it doesn't really matter. I don't want to pay a bunch of money to replace a key I don't even use.

Thanks. I hope someone knows.

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 11:06 AM

5 replies

Sep 20, 2013 11:19 AM in response to Revolution_909

Are you talking about the 'fn' key? Because it really doesn't affect what characters are being displayed. I just typed this sentence with the 'fn' key down. Perhaps you actually meant the option key, which would cause normal characters to be replaced with odd symbols? If it's actually the 'fn' key, is this on the built-in keyboard or an external keyboard? Do you have any third-party software that might modify keyboard behavior?

By the way, trying to break the key with physical force is a really bad idea. You're likely to break more than just that key, and cause yourself a whole slew of other problems.

Sep 22, 2013 1:45 PM in response to thomas_r.

It's just the laptop keyboard. Well, it seems whenever I don't press "fn" everything goes crazy and it's all symbols. But when I do press it everything is fine.

I know breaking it isn't good. I just thought I could pop it off maybe. I did but it didn't do anything.

I don't understand what's going on. Maybe I need to get the keyboard replaced? It's kind of going crazy.

Sep 30, 2013 5:02 PM in response to Revolution_909

You are definitely not crazy. I have the same problem with my keyboard. I can't even select certain links or anything without holding down the FN key. I ended up buying a USB keyboard and use that 90% of the time. The problem used to be intermittent but now it will not reverse itself at all. The apple store can fix it but its cheaper to get a brand new laptop so that is what I will be buying next year. Sorry, I don't have any better news for you.

Sep 30, 2013 5:21 PM in response to blondieblondze

That's the best answer. Yeah usually if you press "fn" or "option" you can get it to work for awhile.

Yeah I have considered some kind of external keyboard also. It will make a laptop less laptopish. But it could do the job for awhile.

It's sad because I don't even care about the "fn" or "option" keys.

But anyway it's not catastrophic at least.

And yeah maybe we can get a new computer later or something. I like mine though. It's customized and is how I like it right now.

Anyway thanks for the reply.

How can I permanently disable the "fn" key?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.