Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes radio - trouble buffering/playing

iTunes radio on Mid-2012 13:" Macbook Air (10.8.5; iTunes 11.1) is frequently not beginning playback of a new song; instead I just get diagonal stripes in the time/buffer bar, and it will stay in this state indefinately. If I skip to the next track, it generally bufferers/plays...but a song or two later I get the same hangup.

The Internet connection should not be an issue (I just tested it at 14Mpbs down / 12Mpbs up / 12ms ping).

Is anybody else seeing this? My first thought was that it was just that Apple's servers are overloaded with the recent releases...but my iPhone doesn't run into this issue.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 1:42 PM

7 replies

Oct 28, 2013 12:03 PM in response to corydchurch

Having used iTunes Radio for over a month now, there is definately an issue here. The buffering issue is not as persistent as it was when I first posted, but in a work day's worth of listening I will get a handful of these hang-ups.

Fully up-to-date (Mavericks, iTunes 11.1.2) on a Mid-2012 13" Macbook Air.

I never have this issue on the iPhone--it's an iTunes-only issue.

Dec 1, 2013 8:56 PM in response to KirkCoo

Yes, same problem with me.

It worked fine for a month and then finished. I had to cut it and I can't use it anymore as buffering cuts the tunes every 5 or 10 secondes.

I believed it was because I did not poor enough money into iTunes even being a subscriber of "match" and then have restrained a bit the tab...😉

I don't know but all this but it is a pitty as I used to like very much the iTunes Radio.

Any tricks would be welcome.

Mar 20, 2014 11:15 AM in response to KirkCoo

I've had this same issue or similar for quite a while now. I have found something that *could* be causing it. I have a radio station that I've been building for some time and the amount of "play more like this" has grown quite large. I went into that list and there were a lot of "unknown title" tracks in the list. I'm not sure if they were songs that iTunes removed from their library or if it was some other issue when I clicked play more like this.

Anyway, I cleared all these unknown tracks out of the list and so far it's fixed the problem with the station getting stuck buffering. I'm thinking it may have something to do with iTunes attempting to play one of those non existant tracks. Who knows, but I've had it going for a few hours and haven't had a problem. Usually it would be every 5 or 6 songs or so.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

iTunes radio - trouble buffering/playing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.