Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ios 7 mail Thread count

I'm using ios 7 on a 4s. A feature is gone or missing that is a significant problem for me. In ios 6 there was a gray box next to the messages in the inbox indicating the number of messages within a thread. That's gone now. That was my only indication that 22 people had replied to my message. Now the only way to tell is to swipe or open the message. I like "organize by thread/conversation", but now I feel like I need to turn it off or I'll miss messages. Thoughts anyone? Todd

iPhone 4S, iOS 7, Mail app thread conversation count

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 3:51 PM

20 replies

Sep 24, 2013 7:12 AM in response to toddnsf

I too miss this feature. apple, can we please bring this back.

Marc Wilson --> the behavior isn't different about the entire thread being marked read/unread. It's the quick indicator of how many of the messages in the thread are "unread". I depend heavily on the importance of a thread (for work) based on the number of messages in a thread and knowing how many are unread.

Sep 24, 2013 10:20 AM in response to toddnsf

In addition, the threads are now marked as written by 'firstname 1' and 'firstname 2'. Why those first names? Mail is not just another social media carrier. Mail is not whatsapp, it's not facebook, it's not texting, it is mail. Some people use mail for work.

In addition, lots of email adresses are in address books/contacts as 'first initial, last name'; i.e. J. Doe instead of John Doe. Now my threads read as coming from 'L. & F.' How am I to discern who wrote those important emails ?

Maybe in the US the target audience for IOS/ Iphones is all youngsters, but in some parts of the world IOS is also used for work related, serious stuff. I am totally in the dark how this constitutes as an 'the best user experience'.

Please, Apple, give us serious users a good user experience as well (the way it was).

Oct 1, 2013 8:53 PM in response to toddnsf

I did not pickup on this at first, but it was brought to my attention that the emails with thread counts greater than 1 there a double arrow on the right where as there is a single arrow when it is just a single email.

I know it is not the count and it does not jump out at you, but it is something to look for until they add the count numbers back (patiently waiting)

Ios 7 mail Thread count

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.