Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is My Airport Extreme Model A1143 Kaput?

The status light on my AirPort Extreme A1143 (2nd generation = Gigabyte Ethernet) does not light at all — although the green "Ethernet Activity lights" blink on and off, suggesting power is reaching the device. But the AirPort Extreme is not functioning. Before I drop another $200 on a new AirPort Extreme, thought I'd ask for advice on whether the AirPort Extreme or its AC adapter are dead &/or for troubleshooting suggestions.

Two mornings ago, I awoke to no Internet access on my MacBook Pro. Airport Extreme not "seen" by the AirPort menu or the AirPort Utility. I checked, and neither my cable modem activity light nor the status light on my AirPort Extreme were lit. Both devices were about 5-6 years old, and had operated without any problems. I tried "power-cycling" both devices; to no effect. To make a long story short, I replaced my cable modem with a newer model — which is now working fine as evidenced by direct Ethernet connection to my MacBook Pro. But, despite trying a different Ethernet cable and three different AC outlets, my AirPort Extreme's status light does not come on, and the network isn't seen by the AirPort Utility. I also tried using a paper clip to operate the reset button while plugging in the AirPort Extreme: no luck. I can't seem to find any troubleshooting advice for if the status light does not come on. Seems puzzling that the "Ethernet Activity lights" blink, though...

Suggestions? Do I have to spend the $200?

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 5:30 PM

The status light on my AirPort Extreme A1143 (2nd generation = Gigabyte Ethernet) does not light at all — although the green "Ethernet Activity lights" blink on and off, suggesting power is reaching the device.

Unfortunately, this confirms that one of the internal power supplies has failed. Since Apple considers this device a sealed unit, Apple does not offer repairs, schematics, or repair parts, so there is unfortunately not much that you can do other than try another router of your choice.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2013 5:30 PM in response to Dean Pahl

The status light on my AirPort Extreme A1143 (2nd generation = Gigabyte Ethernet) does not light at all — although the green "Ethernet Activity lights" blink on and off, suggesting power is reaching the device.

Unfortunately, this confirms that one of the internal power supplies has failed. Since Apple considers this device a sealed unit, Apple does not offer repairs, schematics, or repair parts, so there is unfortunately not much that you can do other than try another router of your choice.

Sep 22, 2013 11:26 AM in response to Dean Pahl

Hey y'all!

Well, it turns out that wasn't the answer!

Yesterday, I brought my AirPort Extreme and AC adapter (with power cord, or whatever it's called) to a Genius Bar appointment at my local Apple Store. After discussing the circumstances I detailed here above, the Apple guy went in back and found a comparable AC Adapter/power cord to test out what was what. Lo! and behold! that was it: my Airport Extreme's status light came on!

So we ordered a new AC Adapter/power cord and, hopefully, I'll be back in business — at a cost closer to $20 than $200.

Cool, huh?

Jan 11, 2014 9:33 AM in response to Dean Pahl

Me too. I had exactly the same symptom (ethernet port lights blinking, no light in the front panel) and replacing the external power solved the issue. Thus the answer from Bob is not correct.

I measured the output power from the broken power adapter with a multimeter and it fluctuated between 6-7 volts instead of 12 volts which it should had been.

Is My Airport Extreme Model A1143 Kaput?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.