Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios7 home sharing issue ( Video App)

After updated to iOS 7 and itunes 11.1, there are several issue I encounter with home sharing that I would like to share.

My problem is only in the video app. Music app works, no problem

My House have 3 media libraries (music + movie + TV), my wife, my daughter and myself. All three libraries work flawlessly with our 2 mac mini, 3 macbook, 1 imac, 3 ipad, 2 iphone, 2 apple tv and 1 ipod. After itunes 11.1 updated, home sharing doesn't seem to work. No problem, if anyone have problem with home sharing, simply do the following

1. turn off home sharing in itunes

2. turn off library sharing under itunes preferences

3. deauthorize your computer under "store" tab.

4. quite itunes

5. restart itunes

6. authorize your computer

7. turn on library sharing

8. turn on home sharing

After all these tinkering on the computer. ALL my apple tv and my 1st generation ipad (iOS 5.1.1) work perfectly. remote app works (ALL iOS), video app works (iOS 5.1.1). All my iOS 7 devices work..................... kinda,

After another hour of tikering, here is what I learn. Only 2 out of 3 libraries show up on video app (iOS 7). Libraries show up randomly without any order. If I shout down the app and reopen, I might get different libraries. No matter what, video app only display 2 libraries.

There is a "show all videos" option under setting -> videos which able you to watch videos purchased from itunes store. If I disable it, I only get 1 library show up on my shared. Rarely, I got 2 libraries show up in the video app, but mostly just 1 library.

From my point of view, there are definitely bugs crawling everywhere under the app. If anyone encounter the same problem, or anyone resolve this situation, please share your knowledge.

Just one conclusion, the app LOOKS GREAT! Execution............. not so great.

BTW Good luck on deleting videos from the app. The video app will quite unexpectly everytime you delete a video.

ALL iOS 7 product-OTHER, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 6:34 PM

46 replies

Sep 25, 2013 10:44 AM in response to Alan Briker

Same results for me as with Briker regarding Home Sharing and the Video app: Following the solution from Wilfred worked until I turned off the iPad.

Two twists I've found in the last few hours:

1. Home Sharing does appear to be working for the Music app on the iPad.

2. Home Sharing videos does work between my iPad (4) and our MacBook Air running iTunes 11.1. But Home Sharing does not work between my iPad (4) and my MacBook Pro also running iTunes 11.1.

The only significant difference I know of between the two Macs is that my MacBook Pro is the "main" iTunes Match computer, and the MacBook Air sees the library as the iOS devices do... most items have the iCloud symbol, and the computer streams rather than plays local music files.

Sep 25, 2013 12:07 PM in response to wilfred~

I just wanted to clear out something for everyone. I am writing this post to share my way to getting things done. The instruction I provide should reset home sharing from the computer end. However, that does not reset home sharing on you iOS device. Anytime home sharing doesn't work, it's probably good to reset you iOS devices before messing with the actual iTunes library. I apologize that I didn't mention "reset you iOS device".

If you tried my instruction and didn't have any luck, you might need to delete iTune setting in your mac library's preference folder. But I don't really want to go that far. My intention of writing this post is NOT because home sharing is not working for me. Home sharing is working, no problem with Apple TV, ipad, iphone, iPod if and only if you don't update to iOS 7. I am writing this discussion to expess my frustration toward the iOS 7 video app's problem with home sharing (bugs!! Lots of them) not home sharing in general.

In my situation, as long as I keep my home sharing library under 2. I updated all my device on the first day. I haven't have any problem ever since. Even if I turn on the third home sharing library. My Apple TV and my iOS 5 (iPad 1) still recognize it (all 3). I have over 5tb of information sharing in my home sharing network. It is an inconvenient since I can only play 2/3 of the content on the video app.

Remeber, home sharing has nothing to do with your iTunes or iPad setting. Essentially, home sharing deal with iCloud setting ( from my experience). You best bet is not restarting the hardware, but to reset your iCloud setting on your iOS devices. Especially for those who can make home sharing work temporarily. I don't know the exact answer because there is not one solution that can fix them all.

Sep 26, 2013 9:42 AM in response to lacovi

I need to clarify my original entry; and Wilfred has some slight misinformation in his explanation: Home Sharing is not the same as–nor uses–iTunes Match in any way.

For this discussion, Home Sharing issues comprise all iTunes library media that can be shared. So I may have addressed only Videos / Movies. But since Home Sharing acts at the iTunes library level, I intend this issue to cover the video and music apps on the other devices not loading the shared iTunes library from my MacBook Pro.

Regarding Wilfred's comments on Home Sharing and iTunes Match... Home Sharing allows devices (iOS, Apple TV, and computers) to view the iTunes library of a computer running iTunes. This Home Sharing feature only requires that the devices and computer(s) are logged into the same wireless network, each device has the same Apple ID provided in the Home Sharing field, and the computer(s) have the iTunes - Preferences - Sharing set to "Share my library on my local network." Notice in this iTunes Sharing feature, not all media may be shared and would therefore not appear on devices connecting through Home Sharing.

iTunes Match allows access to media not loaded on an iOS device or computer by pulling this media from the cloud as opposed to another machine. So I guess we could think of iCloud as a Provider-to-Consumer transfer of media, while Home Sharing is a Device-to-Device feature that lets you stream or download media within your network.

If the third feature not mentioned here–iTunes in the Cloud–is causing confusion, I can add more to this entry so that Match, Home Sharing, and iTunes Cloud can be compared in one location.

Sep 27, 2013 8:33 AM in response to wilfred~

I appreciate your input trutexguy, but I did not said anything about iTunes match, in fact, I did not subscript for itunes match ever. Beside, itunes match only deals with music. My problem is within the VIDEO apps. As the matter of fact, I didn't even mention iTunes match on all of my pervious post.

Home sharing is using your apple id to access your media library. Even accessing from local network, icloud setting still play a part of it because apple id is utilize in the process. Remeber you can have 2+ home sharing within the same network. I am a software engineer but I don't work for apple, I am just speaking from what I know.

From my point of discussion, I am not interested in itunes match or music app. I am open this discussion to seek out if people encountering any "Home Sharing" issues regarding VIDEO sharing with the new iOS 7.

BTW, trutexguy misleading about the feature of "Share my library on my local network." if this feature is turn off, your everything in your home sharing library should still appear. This is the iTunes security feature which grant permission for home sharing and outside application to access your library's content. When you turn on home sharing and disable "share my library" under preference, you can still see everything in your home shared library but you would not have permission to play any of it. This shows the redundancy when Apple come out with new features. I truly think apple should combine "Share" and "Home Share" and make it less confusing.

ios7 home sharing issue ( Video App)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.