Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad will not restore as I can't turn off Find my iPad

The wifi on my iPad 2 is greyed out and I've tried the regular remedies such as resetting the network settings. When this has happened in the past, I have had success by restoring the ipad to the factory settings. Here's the rub: iOS 7 requires Find My iPad to be turned off in order to restore iPad or restore from backup. However, I can't turn off Find My iPad without accepting the iCloud Terms and Conditions. When I try to accept the terms and conditions, the ipad returns the following phrase: "unable to connect to server" Aaarggghhh!!!! I'm connected to iTunes via the cable during this whole process. Any suggestions????

iPad 2, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 9:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 8:40 AM

Hi guys,

I had the same problem and the solution that I found was to put the iPad into recovery mode by doing the following:

1) Without iPad connected to PC/Mac, Power off iPad (Hold Wake/Sleep button and swipe to power off)

2) With iPad now off, connect iPad to PC/Mac while holding the Home button down at the same time. Do not release the Home button until the iPad's display shows a picture of a cable and iTunes logo.

3) Now go to iTunes. It will say that a device is in recovery mode and must be updated and restored. Just go ahead with the process.

NOTE: In following this process, the status of 'Find my iPad' will be ignored and your iPad will be restored as normal.

WARNING: You will be RESTORING your iPad so make sure you back-up the device prior to initiating step 1 as this should not require Find my iPad to be off.

Hope this works for you guys,

Denzel

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2015 8:40 AM in response to brytheguy

Hi guys,

I had the same problem and the solution that I found was to put the iPad into recovery mode by doing the following:

1) Without iPad connected to PC/Mac, Power off iPad (Hold Wake/Sleep button and swipe to power off)

2) With iPad now off, connect iPad to PC/Mac while holding the Home button down at the same time. Do not release the Home button until the iPad's display shows a picture of a cable and iTunes logo.

3) Now go to iTunes. It will say that a device is in recovery mode and must be updated and restored. Just go ahead with the process.

NOTE: In following this process, the status of 'Find my iPad' will be ignored and your iPad will be restored as normal.

WARNING: You will be RESTORING your iPad so make sure you back-up the device prior to initiating step 1 as this should not require Find my iPad to be off.

Denzel

Jan 19, 2014 6:34 AM in response to griff w

I have almost the same problem; I forgot the passcode to my iPad Mini, but when I'm trying to restore it in iTunes, I'm just told that I have to turn of "Find my iPad", which is obviously impossible. However, when I try to remove the iPad from my iCloud account, it just says that it will be deleted when connected to wifi. Which the iPad is not. And will not, since I can't remember the passcode. So this is an evil circle, and I'm just clueless. Any suggestions? All will be highly appreciated :-)

Nov 16, 2015 9:01 AM in response to Denzel B

Hi guys,

Denzel

EDIT: SORRY GUYS, DOES WORK BUT AFTER RESET IT WILL ASK FOR YOU TO LOG IN...PLS IGNORE COMMENT

Ipad will not restore as I can't turn off Find my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.